Handell's

Handell’s

 When we pulled into Handell’s I felt a slight pang of disappointment that the ride was over. It had only taken around five minutes to make the drive, but it felt like a lifetime. I knew that I would never look at that road the same way again.  I hopped out of the car and ran my fingers through my knotted hair. The sun was high and the warmth made me feel alive. Tyler was waiting for me at the door, and we walked into the cool eatery together.

   Inside, Handell’s was decorated with mismatched chairs and booths. Pictures of the beach, some of mine, unknown to anyone but my mother and the owner of the place, Jessica Handell. There were rope lights on the ceiling, and by the door to the patio, there was a long lunch counter with a picture window. That was where my friends and I usually sat when we came here. I was always subjected to sitting in the corner stool at the very end farthest away from everyone.

   I made my way towards the usual counter, when Tyler tugged my arm.

“Where are you going?” he asked.

“To sit down” I replied shortly.

“We should sit outside. It’s far too lovely a day to sit in the confines of walls and windows.” He said flourishing his hands around.

My face burned a little as people turned to look at us.

“Fine, we’ll sit outside. Anything to keep you from making up poems in the middle of a restaurant.” I grabbed his arm and led him out the door.

We sat down at a corner table on the patio. I had to admit, it was a nice day and the ocean breeze felt nice. There were only about 2 other people on the patio, since it wasn’t quite lunchtime yet. The beach, however, was packed with people enjoying the sun and the sand. Kid ran in and out of the waves shrieking and laughing. The gulls were flying around, swooping down to attack any morsel left unattended. I breathed in, inhaling the intoxicating smell of the salt in the wind.

  I looked over to see Tyler studying me.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing, you just seem very content here.”

“I am.”

The waitress came by to take our orders. When she left, the two of us sat in silence for a moment, and then Tyler spoke up.

“So are you going to be a junior next year?”

“No, only a sophomore. My birthday is in July. How about you?”

“Junior. Mine’s in July too, the 13th.”

I laughed. “It looks like it was meant to be then, mine’s the 16th”

“It was written in the stars, then long before we existed. A lonely girl and a thoughtful boy were meant to meet on a beach in South Carolina, and they were meant to change the world.”

“Lonely? How can you tell I’m lonely? We have only known each other for…” I checked my watch. “Two hours.”

Tyler smiled. “I know things Kassidy. I could tell just by looking at you that you are lonely. Am I right?”

He was indeed right, but at the time I didn’t want to let him know that quite yet. So instead, I decided to keep up the mysterious tone.

“Maybe I am. But, maybe you have a lot to learn about me, Tyler I-don’t-know your-last-name.”

“I was right about one thing, Kassidy Freeman, It was on the same lens as your address, and you are funny. For future reference, it’s Logan.”

“Tyler Logan, it has a nice ring to it.” I said.

“I know.” Was his simple reply.

It was then, on the patio at Handell’s at 12:15 on June 4, that I found my first true friend.