Photography

Photography

   I awoke the next morning to my mother’s hand shaking me gently from my sleep.

“Kassidy, I’m off to work. There’s money on the counter for lunch, and when you go today, be sure to take your phone.”

I nodded, and then sat up and stretched. Rolling out of bed, I pulled on a tank top and shorts. On my way out of my bedroom, I grabbed my camera bag and slung it over my shoulder. I wasn’t terribly hungry, so I rummaged through the pantry until I found a granola bar. When I had finished off my breakfast, I slipped the money that my mother left me into my bag, put my phone in my pocket and walked out the door.

  It was a lovely early June morning. The sun was just beginning to rise, and it was already humid. I mounted my bike and began to pedal down the street to the beach.

   As I got closer to the beach, I was grateful for the lack of major tourism in our town. Sure, we got our fair share, but places like West Shores got most of the tourism.  There was hardly anyone in sight on the beach. I locked my bike on the bike rack, and made my way down to the sand. I slipped off my sandals and let the cool sand fill the gaps between my toes. I wandered around with my camera in hand for a moment, taking a few shots and examining the light. I made my way towards the jetty, a man-made structure of rocks and shells. It had been there for as long as I could remember, and it was a perfect subject, as well as the waves around it and the tide pools that surrounded it.

    I had become completely engrossed in taking pictures from different angles, and was currently on the end of the jetty, leaning over the side on my stomach, trying to find a good angle for the seaweed that was congregating on the side, when I heard a voice from behind me.

“Careful you don’t fall off.”