42- Sneak in

Chatters and murmurs commonly fill the cafeteria. Today was no exception.

It was morning and at one table were the usual Xie Lian, Shen Qingqiu, and Shi Qingxuan. And the irregulars; Wei Wuxian, Hua Cheng, He Xuan, and Luo Binghe.

But hey, where's-

"Hey, where's Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian beat the narrative to it.

Shi Qingxuan and Shen Qingqiu glanced at each other. They shrugged. "I dunno, Wangji-xiong's not our roommate," said Shi Qingxuan. He Xuan sitting next to him asked, "Are you going to eat that?"

Shi Qingxuan pushed his whole tray to He Xuan. "No."

Wei Wuxian huffed and propped an elbow on the table, pressing his hand against his cheek. Well, hopefully, Lan Wangji will appear soon enough.

"Have you heard classes are canceled today?" Xie Lian piped up.

The MengDie boys shook their heads in unison. So does Shi Qingxuan.

Shen Qingqiu: "..."

Shen Qingqiu: "He's right. Apparently, most of the members of the student council got a cold."

Xie Lian nodded. "And some of the activities we are doing today need them. And a lot of the students live far from home so they need their roommates to take care of them, I think. So no point in having classes today."

Shi Qingxuan hmphed. "If you asked me, I think the teachers rely on the council a little too much."

Wei Wuxian nearly knocked over his carton of chocolate milk. "Oh, is that why Lan Zhan's not here? Doesn't he share a dorm with Xichen-xiong?"

Shen Qingqiu aimed his empty juice box at a nearby trash can. "Probably," he said before tossing the box straight into the trash can. Excessively proud of himself for that shot, Luo Binghe also looked at him admirably.

Shi Qingxuan continues with his talk, "But isn't it weird that all of the student council got sick on the same day?? Like it couldn't be a coincidence-!"

"Yeah," He Xuan agreed, stuffing himself with a pork bun. Shen Qingqiu doubts he even heard what Shi Qingxuan was rambling about.

Shen Qingqiu rolled his eyes. "No, it was not a coincidence. They all had to bring the stuff they set up in the courtyard back into the school in the rain before they got soaked. Quite futile, really, all the items still got soggy and themselves in the process."

"Oh yeahhh, so it was the rain. It did started pouring out of nowhere."

"Either that or it's because they all drank from the same coffee pot," Xie Lian said, half-jokingly.

Wei Wuxian yawned, stretching his arms over his head. "Well, this sucks. Maybe I should go help Lan-

"Wei Ying."

Wei Wuxian spun his head around so fast Shen Qingqiu thought it snapped.

"Lan Zhan-!!" Wei Wuxian hopped off of his seat. He pushed Luo Binghe until the boy realized to get up and patted the now-empty seat next to him. "Lan Zhan, come sit!"

Xie Lian whispered something in Hua Cheng's ear and he got up and moved a seat to his right. Xie Lian does the same. Then Xie Lian slid He Xuan's food tray over and the boy moved in harmony with his food. Then Xie Lian leaned back and tapped Shi Qingxuan on the back and the other boy took the hint and moved a seat to the right. Now there's an empty seat next to Shen Qingqiu! Gratefully, Luo Binghe sat down.

Shen Qingqiu: "Hey."

Luo Binghe: "Hi..."

Meanwhile, Wei Wuxian bombarded Lan Wangji with questions.