Carmel

It was that weird dead time between lunch and dinner when he came into the restaurant the first time.
He had come in with two friends, all three of them attractive and dressed casually in tee shirts and jeans. The weather had been warm despite it being early spring.
Carmel was the only server working both lunch and dinner shifts at the dinner and quickly sat the three of them at a booth, happy to have at least one table to wait despite loving the fact that the dinner wasn't normally busy at 2:30.
The three men were very kind, and easy to wait on, ordering politely, smiling broadly. They apologized for having an issue with one of their meals and then left a large tip as they left.
Carmel shrugged as she looked at the money left on the table and grinned, losing that free time may have been worth it after all.

The second time they came in was exactly a week later at the same time of day. Here was an older man sitting alone that day as well but the group of boys were very present like they had been the week before.
She greeted them with a big smile, quickly bringing them over to a table away from the older man.
"I just want you to know how much I appreciated the tip last week, thank you so much," She says as they take their seats.
The smallest one smiles back, "It's the least you deserve, honestly."
Carmel laughs lightly and thanks them once more before asking for their drink order and then disappearing into the back.
Once the older man left, Carmel checked on the group as they talked. Hey had finished their food but didn't look like they were going to move any time soon.
"How was everything?" Carmel asks, reaching for the first plate.
"Perfect!" The one with pretty and large eyes says, his smile adorable.
"I'm glad you enjoyed it! And there were no issues this time?" She asks, stacking the plates.
They shook their heads, the orders had been correct. Carmel quickly puts away the plates and comes back with their three checks, telling them they could stay and hang out as long as they want.
It's then that the smallest speaks again, asking her if she wants to sit and talk to them for a while.
Carmel politely declines, feeling slightly awkward about sitting with three random men even if they looked like they would be her age.

It isn't until the fifth week when the boys come in that she finally feels comfortable to sit and chat with them for a few minutes after they are done eating.
At that point she had learned their names and a little bit about each of them and the subjects they were studying in college.
She sat down with them as the dinner was empty besides them and was happily surprised to find that they were very interesting and respectful guys.
She laughed along slightly as the smallest, Jimin, made a joke about the one with pretty eyes failing at math until the hot TA helped him.
She explained how she hated the stress that came with college and they agreed that it was dumb how much pressure it was.
The third man, Taehyung they called him, was quiet and Carmel wasn't sure why but shrugged it off, maybe he was just shy.

Another month passed and soon she even had Jimin's phone number, the boys coming in sometimes late at night when she was covering a shit for another server. Taehyung was a bit more talkative when he was drunk, and smiled a lot. It was a very pretty smile, he was a pretty man in general and seeing him happy and smiling made him more attractive if Carmel was honest.

Taehyung was always the most quiet on the days after a drunk visit to the dinner and Carmel could never figure out why beyond an assumption that he was embarrassed of his drunk actions.
Jimin had his own theories of course and presented the idea to Carmel once when he had come alone but she had shot the idea down immediately, there was no way he thought about her in some way besides a friend or an acquaintance.

That thought process is why she was so shocked when he came in alone one day. By this time the semester was almost over and Carmel knew that finals were approaching.
"Hello, Taehyung," she smiled at him, leading him to a table in the back corner where she knew he and the others liked to sit.
"Carmel," he asks as he sits down, "Are you busy today?"
Carmel shakes her head, "The only thing I have to do is refill the ketchups before dinner."
"Would you mind doing it at my table?" Taehyung asks, clearly nervous about something.
"Sure," Carmel smiles and quickly runs his order, gathering the bottles before coming back to the table with them and Taehyung's food.
"Here you go," She sets his plate on the table, "Are you sure you want to see me filling these as you eat?"
Taehyung nods, insisting and Carmel shrugs, sitting down with her project.
"How are your finals?" She asks him as he takes his first bite, knowing the timing would annoy him slightly.
He gives her a look as he chews and then answers once he swallows the bite, "I have them in the bag, I have pretty easy classes this semester."
"That's good!" Carmel smiles up at him, screwing a cap back onto a bottle, "Are you alone because the others are studying?"
Taehyung seems to flush slightly and Carmel waits for him to answer.
"I'll tell you why I'm here after I eat and you are done with those," Taehyung finally decides, face still flushed.
Carmel shrugs and goes back to her task, humming along to the song on the radio under her breath as she works.

Once Taehyung is done Carmel clears the table and comes back to the table,curious about what Taehyung was going to tell her.
"So, what's up?"
"Well, I'm here on my own because I wanted to admit something to you."
Carmel raises her eyebrows in confusion, "What? Did you steal from the dinner or something?"
Taehyung chuckles and shakes his head, "No, I came to tell you about something I've been feeling for a while, I have to tell you and get it over with."
"Okay, go ahead," Carmel smiles, still unsure where the man was going with this.
"I've kinda had a growing crush on you ever since we came that first time to eat here."
Carmel just stares at him, the information not totally processing in her brain for several seconds.
"Carmel?" Taehyung asks, sounding worried.
"You what?" Carmel finally speaks.
"I like you," Taehyung sounds uncertain about himself this time as he speaks.
"No, there's no way."
"What do you mean?"
"Jimin was right? Are you serious? You like me?" Camel asks, leaning across the table to search taehyung's eyes closely.
He nods, face flushing further under the scrutiny.
It finally hits Carmel what he was saying and she flushes herself, "Oh."
"I suppose I don't need an answer now, but yeah, that's what I wanted to tell you."
"Oh, um, I like you too."
It's Taehyung's turn to look shocked until he unleashes his gorgeous smile and then Carmel can't help but smile back.
"So will you go out with me?" Taehyung asks, leaning forward himself.
Carmel nods, unable to fight the smile on her face as she looks at the man before her.
Her new boyfriend.
She couldn't stop smiling for a week after, even while Jimin and Jungkook made fun of her later that week.