Ruwaidah

Today was Ru's first day at work, tomorrow the students would be arriving and she had just finished her paperwork to be hired at the school.
She had been working on this teaching degree for so long and it was finally paying off in a job with 7 year olds at a very good and well known school.
She walked into the school with one large box of things for her classroom, knowing she would have limited time to decorate with only one day left before the students arrived for the year.
The principal showed her to the hallway where her room was located and let her in with his key, promising that the secretary would get her a key at some point that day, and then left again, letting her settle into the space.
She looked around at the stacked chairs, desks, and other usual things in the room and rolled up her sleeves, she had a lot to do today.

An hour later there was a knock on her open door and she looked over, up on a chair as she taped letters to the top of the wall above the white board.
She almost fell off the chair as she caught sight of the beautiful man smiling at her from the doorway. He was tall and thin but built well, with sharp facial features and perfectly permed hair framing his face.
"Hi," He says with a small wave, stepping slowly into the room. Ru looks around at the mess that had seemed to explode all over the room and climbs down from the chair before she falls.
"Hello!" She says with a somewhat forced smile.
"I'm Taehyung, I teach in the room next door!" He gestures to. The second door in the room that connects to a second classroom.
"Oh okay! It's so nice to meet you, I'm Ruwaidah but people call me Ru," She holds her hand out and Taehyung takes another large step into the room to shake it.
"It's great to meet you too! I thought we may end up missing a teacher this year!" Taehyung smiles and Ru feels her stomach flip. It was a really cute and almost boxed smile.
"I'm glad I was able to finish all of the paperwork in time!" Ru comments, "I was worried it wouldn't get done in time."
"I'm glad it did!" Taehyung says, "Do you need help setting anything up? My room is all ready and I have some extra time."
Ru looks around the room and sighs, her one box of things had thrown up all over, and it was clearly a mess.
"I should be fine on my own but maybe you have some suggestions? This is my first year teaching."
Taehyung gasps, "Oh my gosh, that's so exciting! Tell me what you have planned and I'll give you my opinions!"
Ru grins, if her neighbor teacher stayed this helpful and this gorgeous this would probably be a really nice job.

Her initial thoughts proved to be true, Taehyung continued to be incredibly helpful and he continued to still look amazing along with it.
Ru would be lying if she were to say that she didn't find him very attractive, and the way he interacted with the students was only making her small crush grow infinitely bigger.
It was the last week before fall break when this became slightly unbearable.
The students were all given short days so that the staff could get some training and professional development. This meant that Taehyung and Ru ended up paired up for several meetings and teaching activities each afternoon, making her realize just how much she was growing to like the teacher next door.
He was funny in a quiet way and Ru didn't mind his more introverted personality. He was always prepared for everything and seemed to know everyone in the school, always making sure that he introduced her to people and made her comfortable.
A few of the other teachers had begun to tease her slightly in passing for being his shadow of sorts but she just tried to explain how she was really just trying to learn as much as she could from a more experienced teacher.
It wasn't a lie, not really. Not when Taehyung was always very willing to offer advice and talk about his experiences.
It had been very helpful and insightful in Ru's opinion, she never turned down advice. It wasn't that she was unconfident but hearing about a subject that she didn't consider herself an expert in was valuable to her.
That's why she didn't really mind if people saw her as Taehyung's shadow, she was learning far more than she could have on her own and Taehyung didn't seem to mind.
In fact, Ru wasn't sure but it seemed like he was seeking her out to do things together more than the other two teachers in her grade did. She tried to put what she perceived as him having a preference for her out of her mind, telling herself that it was just because they were co-teachers, but a tiny part of her was still screaming in her head that he did like her on some level.
His preference became very apparent when the students had a day off, he would spend most of his day in her classroom not his own and would insist that they go together to lunch in his car and that he would pay for the food.

On the last day before winter break Ru had finally gotten both curious and bold enough to just ask the man.
He had suggested that they skip lunch, work and then leave early, and. Ru had agreed, why not start Christmas break a few hours early. Leave behind the stress or work and teaching a bit sooner than expected!
As they walked out he stopped her, "So I really want to try this new Italian place, want to come? It shouldn't be too crowded yet at this time of day."
Ru looks up at him and search's his face for a long moment before agreeing, deciding that she would talk to him about all of this while they ate.
On the way to the restaurant Ru sat quietly, deep in thought and Taehyung let her, his own seeming to consume him.
Once they were finally seated at a table Ru finally started talking.
"Taehyung, I have a question if you don't mind."
He looks up into her face with a smile, putting his water glass to the side.
The waiter snaches up their menus and orders, quickly walking away again.
"What did you want to ask?" Taehyung says, a hint of apprehension in his otherwise calm demeanor.
Ru takes a deep breath, "I just wanted to ask so that we can be on the same page, these lunches kinda feel like dates to me."
Taehyung's eye brows shoot up, "Dates?"
Ru nods, "Yeah, I mean you kinda pick me up, take me somewhere really nice like this place, it's so fancy! And then you make sure you pay instead of splitting the bill and then you drive me back. It's very similar to a date?"
Taehyung looks down at the table for a long moment and Ru waits, wanting to know what his thoughts were.
He finally looks up, "You must enjoy them if you keep agreeing to them," He says, voice low as eyes serious.
Ru colors slightly, gaze dropping to the table.
"Would you mind if they were dates?" Taehyung asks after a long moment.
"I have to be honest, I really wouldn't mind at all," She glances up to see his surprised expression and she gains a bit of courage, "I think I would like that."
Taehyung's boxy smile appears once more as he digests her words.
"Then let's say they have been dates," He finally says, his voice soft and clear.
"Yeah?" Ru asks, her blush peeking through her tanned skin.
"Or I could just ask you on one officially?" Taehyung suggests, shrugging his shoulders.
Ru laughs and covers her face with her hands, embarrassed but thrilled.
"Either way is fine with me," She says quietly and Taehyung laughs as well.
"Okay, but let's not tell anyone at school just yet."
Ru nods, "No I agree, however they already think we're dating, so I don't think they will be too surprised." 
Taehyung shrugs, "What are your plans over the break?"
"Some family stuff but I have some free days."
"Then we have time to figure out what we want and what we can tell people, but for now let's just eat some good pasta."
"Sounds good," Ru nods as the waiter comes back with some bread and salad for them.

The pasta came a few minutes later and it was delicious. Later that week Taehyung picked Ru up from her house and they spent hours at a coffee shop just talking and figuring out what they each wanted.
When Ru got home later that night it was with a boyfriend and a smile on her face.