Nancy

The day was almost finished, the shop was going to close in 10 minutes when the bell over the door signaled another customer's arrival.
Nancy sighed to herself as she rounded the corner, walking back out into the front of the store. Why did someone have to come on a Monday night right before closing?
"Nancy!"
Nancy wilts slightly, relieved, it was just Jungkook nota real customer.
"Hey, Kook," She says, obviously tired, "What's up?"
"You never answered my text earlier today and I got worried," Jungkook pauses, eyeing the display cases mostly empty now of their pastries, "And I wanted to see if you had anything you aren't keeping."
"Of course you are," Nancy rolls her eyes and looks into the cases herself, sighing yet again when she sees there was only one chocolate croissant left on the tray.
"So," Jungkook walks over to the half door leading behind the counter, "need any help with anything? You look tired."
Nancy gives him a long look, silently contemplating slapping his little smile off his face for the comment about her appearance but finally shakes her head, it would be nice to leave early today and that would only happen if she let him help.
"Have any interest in dish washing?" She asks, finally giving in.
Jungkook slips behind the counter and disappears into the back of the store, having been in there many times, ever since Nancy had opened her bakery.
It's now only 10 minutes too closing and Nancy begins to clean up the rest of the front end of the store, putting things away and wiping down the counters, counting the minutes until she could go and lock the door for the night.
Luckily nobody else came in and it was finally 9pm. Nancy quickly locked the door and turned off the open sign. As she turned away from the door she stopped short, Jungkook's head peeking around the door into the kitchens startling her.
"What did you go and do that for?" Nancy asks, hand over her heart as she tries to catch her breath.
Jungkook shrugs, his mischievous little smile back on his face and Nancy frowns.
"You better count yourself lucky that we are friends or I would probably slap you right now!"
Jungkook rolls his eyes and disappears from the door frame.
A moment later he comes out into the main room of the store, "The washing is all done and I did the setup for those things you like to bake as soon as you get here in the morning."
Nancy manages a tired smile, "Thank you."
Jungkook steps closer to her, "Can I have a reward?"
"You really had to ruin my moment of happiness and thankfulness?" Nancy scowls back up at him.
"I really love your croissant, it's the only thing that can cheer me up after classes all day," Jungkook whines with an adorable pout.
Nancy feels a tiny section of her heart die slightly as she looks at the man standing in front of her. He had been around for a long time, they had been friends for many years, ever since Middle school and Nancy can say pretty confidently that she has had a pretty steady crush on him ever since they got out of high school together.
He had decided to go the college route but she had taken the business route, ending up opening her own shop after two years of home baking while Jungkook was still in college, taking classes part time while working to save up for a house or something.
She knew she couldn't blame him for complaining about a long day but today her assistant baker had called out sick and she had been running around like a crazy woman trying to make sure everything was prepared and man the counter at the same time and all she wanted was to go home.
Nancy stares at him and then turns, grabs the last pastry and takes a huge bite of it. Jungkook gasps as if he's been shot, eyes wider than normal.
"Why?" He asks in a small and hurt voice.
"Because they are my favorite things in this shop and I never end up getting to eat one," Nancy says around her mouthful of croissant.
Jungkook doesn't say anything, just looks sadly at the rest of the pastry in her hand.
She sighs, "Sorry, it's just been a really crap day and I'm tired."
Jungkook steps closer and Nancy's breath hitches as his sudden proximity. They had never been especially physical friends and it was uncommon for Jungkook to be suddenly giving her a hug unprompted.
She carefully puts the pastry down on the counter behind her and gives herself a long moment to just be hugged before she pushes him away.
"I'll give you the other half, you don't have to beg or anything," She says trying to make light of the weird turn the conversation had taken.
"That's not what I was trying to do, Nancy," he says, a tinge of sadness in his voice as he takes a small step back.
Nancy shakes her head, "No I was being selfish," She insists, wanting to reach out and touch Jungkook's arm or shoulder but hesitating.
Jungkook made the decision for her, gently touching her chin with one finger, making her look up at him.
"Nancy, taking care of yourself is never selfish, in fact I think you need to be more selfish, especially around me," He smiles slightly, "You let me get away with way too much really."
Nancy stares up at him, suddenly upset that he was making her stomach fill with butterflies and frowns, crossing her arms.
"That's only because I like you so much! Of course I would favor you!"
Jungkook raises one eyebrow as Nancy slaps a hand over her mouth, realizing what she had said.
"You like me?" He asks, his mischievous smile back once more.
Nancy shakes her head, "No, I don't know why I said that."
Jungkook searches her face, "So, If i step closer to you, it won't affect you?" He asks, slowly stepping forward enough that Nancy was pressed against the counter behind her, a small gasp leaving her lips as her face flushes.
"That's what I thought," Jungkook says so quietly that Nancy almost doesn't hear him.
She stares up at him and he looks down at her lips, his own quirking up on one side.
"Kook?" Nancy breaths out. His eyes fly back up to hers and search hers for a long moment before he slowly leans in, his lips landing not right on her but slightly to the left side of them.
Then he pulls away, licking his lips and quickly takes a step back, studying Nancy's face again.
"What was that for?" Nancy finally asks when she can breathe again.
"I've always wanted to kiss you," he says, "And you had some chocolate on your lip."
Nancy stares at him for such a long moment that he begins to squirm.
"Was that okay?" He asks, suddenly unsure.
"I don't know what is happening right now," Nancy says, looking into space between her and Jungkook.
"Let me make myself clear," Jungkook says, taking another step back from her to give her space, "I like you. A lot. And I have for a while now."
Nancy stares at him, processing, and then nods.
"Are you serious?"
Jungkook nods, "I really do."
"This was not something I was expecting to happen today." Nancy says slowly.
"I'm sorry?" Jungkook says, uncertainly.
Nancy musters a smile, "I'm not mad about it, trust me."
Jungkook smiles, "Maybe we should finish closing the store?"
"Yes, that's a good idea."
Jungkook nods and they quickly begin to clean up the last bits of the store. Nancy slips the croissant into a small to-go box and puts it in her backpack.
The rest of the clean up goes very smoothly and soon they are walking out the back door of the store, Nancy locking up the door behind them.
"How are you getting home tonight?" Jungkook asks as she pulls the key from the door.
"Bus, want to come with me? You can stay over, I think my roommate is out tonight if you want to talk further about this."
Jungkook nods and turns, ready to lead the way toward the bus stop.

Once they are. Back at the apartment Nancy pulls out the box and places it on the counter as Jungkook changes into a set of clothes he had left at the apartment.
He comes out and sits next to her at the breakfast bar, confused to see the box between them. 
"Here," Nancy says, breaking the rest of the croissant in half and handing Jungkook half of it.
"Are you sure?" Jungkook asks, hesitating until Nancy practically shoves the pastry into his mouth.
"Thank you," He says with a somewhat shy smile.
"You are welcome," Nancy says, "I think I owe it to you if we are having a serious relationship discussion."
Jungkook nods, "I still think you should be selfish when you want to be."
Nancy sighs, "I want to share with you though," She insists.
"I appreciate it," Jungkook smiles, finally eating his half of the croissant.

About an hour later, Jungkook and Nancy are sitting on the couch, cuddled together, having decided to try and be a couple and see what happens.
"Are we going to regret this?" Nancy asks, the show on the TV totally forgotten in the background.
Jungkook shrugs, "I really hope not, I don't think we will."
Nancy smiles, "I think so too, I think we will be happy for a long time."
Jungkook hums in agreement.
"Unless stealing all my croissants becomes a habit for you," Nancy says with a grin.
Jungkook huffs, "I will never eat another one if it ensures that we are together for a long time."
"Oh hush, I'll make you your own batch," Nancy grins up at Jungkook and he grins back, pecking her lips quickly before they both turn back to the show.
"We need to rewind. I am so confused," Nancy says.
Jungkook sighs but grabs the remote and rewinds, letting Nancy lean further into him as she tries to find the perfect place to play the show from again.
Jungkook smiles, if this is what the future looked like, this would be perfect.