Poppie :)

It was senior year. Wasn't senior year supposed to be the easiest out of all high school years?
Poppie stood on the corner outside their school, the stress weighing so heavily on their shoulders.
This was the last year of high school, next fall they would be at university and that was simultaneously a scary and amazing thing to think about.
If only the classes this semester were a bit easier, for some reason this spring semester had been one of the most difficult to get through in Poppie's school career so far.
Suddenly a car pulled up the curb, out of the flow of traffic and the passenger window rolled down.
"Poppie!" It was Hoseok, their older brother's friend from when he was in high school.
"Hoseok?" Poppie asks, confused at the older man's sudden appearance.
"Get in, I'll give you a ride back home!" Hoseok waves them over and Poppie shrugs, why not, they knew him and trusted him even if they hadn't seen each other in a while.
"What are you doing on this side of town?" Poppie asks as Hoseok pulls the car back into the flow of traffic.
"I dropped a friend off somewhere and was heading back up to the university," Hoseok answers, skillfully weaving into the fast lane.
"Oh I see," Poppie answers, not sure what else to say. Hoseok and their brother had been friends for most of the two boys' lives until Poppie's brother had gone out of the country for University and had lost track of his old friends. Hoseok had opted to attend the more local university instead.
The two of them hadn't been very close as Hoseok had obviously spent his time with Poppy's brother and not them, but they still knew each other pretty well. Well enough on poppie's part for them to develop a bit of a crush on the older man.
Whether Hoseok knew about the crush was up for debate but he had made it pretty clear in the past that he saw Poppie as a little kid despite them only having a 2 year age gap.
"What's going on?" Hoseok asks, " You looked upset on that street corner."
Poppie looks over at him, surprised at the assessment of her mood, "Oh nothing."
"Poppie, I think I know you well enough to know it wasn't nothing. Are you okay?" Hoseok asks, turning down a street that will eventually lead up into the hills where Poppie's house is, "Is it friends? Teachers? Work load?"
Poppie hesitates but Hoseok sends them a glance and they shrink, it was Hoseok's slightly angry, serious look.
"Work load," They finally admit, "I can't seem to keep up this semester."
"What year are you in again?" Hoseok asks, slowing at a red light.
"Senior," Poppie answers, "Hoseok you were at my 18th birthday party a few months ago, how did you know I was upset and not what year I'm in?"
"That was your 18th?" Hoseok asks, incredulous.
Poppie just sighs, "Yes."
"Wow! Time really flies!" Hoseok says, "Wait so are you going to the university next year?"
"Yeah, just the local one, I don't really care where I get in to be honest," They pick at a chipped nail and look out the window.
"Why not?" Hoseok asks, genuinely interested.
"I just feel like you can get the same courses wherever you go, and it's not like I'll be able to join like dance or something, I just need my basic classes."
Hoseok frowns and Poppie does as well, not liking that expression whenever they see it on Hoseok.
"You won't dance?"
Poppie shakes their head, "No, I don't think I'll have time."
Hoseok continues to frown and then switches lanes, turning down a street in the opposite direction of the house.
"Where are we going?" Poppie asks, slightly apprehensive at this new direction.
"We are going to the UNI dance team practice," Hoseok says, his mood seeming to lift as they approach the university.
"WHat?" Poppie asks, confused, "Why?"
"Because I know that when you were on the dance team last year you were one of the best dancers on the team and there's no way you are going to go through all your uni years not on a team."
"I can't change your mind can I?" Poppie asks, sighing when hoseok shakes his head, a determined look on his face as he drives, "Let me tell my mom I won't be home for dinner I guess."

Half an hour later Poppie follows Hoseok into a dance studio, feeling apprehensive and a tiny bit excited.
They had stopped at Hoseok's dorm for a moment, just enough time for Hoseok to make Poppie change into some of his extra dance clothes so that theirs wouldn't get gross from sweat.
Hoseok had talked his head off excitedly as they walked across the campus to the dance building and Poppie had let him, not sure what to even say to him.
"Hobi!" A small boy with a very pretty smile launches himself across the room and Hoseok squeals back, quickly wrapping him up in a hug.
It takes them a second but once they are both on the ground, Hoseok quickly introduces the other boy as Jimin and Poppie awkwardly waves hello to him.
"Welcome!" Jimin says cheerfully, "We need more people anyway! I'm glad you're here!"
The next ten minutes are a flurry of introductions as people arrive and stretching, Hoseok making sure that Poppie does them all properly.
"You don't want to hurt yourself," He says with his usual grin as he makes them reach just a bit further.
Soon there is music flooding the studio and Hoseok urges Poppie to just join in whenever they feel comfortable.
The group runs through a particular routine several times and by the fifth, joins in, able to copy most of the moves in the chorus with relative accuracy.
Hoseok grins into the mirror as he watches them copy the dance and Poppie glows under his approval, picking it up just a tad bit faster.
Soon the song is perfected by most of the group and they take a break, Hoseok telling Poppie he would be back in a few moments before leaving the room.
"Hey," A voice says above them, pulling poppies' attention to the tall man in front of them.
"Hi," they answer back with a small smile, if memory serves correctly his name was Jungkook.
"You are really good! Hoseok says you are going to attend here next year?" Jungkook asks, a kind and slightly shy smile on his face.
Poppie nods, "Yeah, as long as I can pass my math class this year."
Jungkook laughs and plops down onto the floor beside them, asking a few more questions about Poppies last semester.
"Well, enough of that," He says a moment later,"Want to see a routine I've been working on?"

The routine ends up being a cover of a girl group dance, a slightly adult dance which Jungkook pulls off flawlessly on his run through. Jimin and a few others send him cheers as he finishes the routine and then he turns to Popppie fully.
"Want to learn some of it?" He asks, eyes wide and innocent.
Poppie hesitates but then decides to throw caution to the wind and agrees, letting Jungkook pull them up by the hand and taking a place next to him as the song starts over.
Poppie gets pulled into the movements and the song, catching onto the routine even faster than they did the previous song and Jungkook looks delighted when they do a run through with almost no mistakes in it.
Poppie grins and accepts Jungkook's high fives, finally looking around the room again now that they were not so focused. They stop short, sucking in a breath when their eyes come across Hoseok. His gaze was almost hard as he looked across the room at them, making Poppie worry they had done something to disappoint him.
He doesn't say anything for the rest of the practice, letting Poppie wallow in their anxiety the entire time. Even while they walked back to the dorms, Hoseok was quiet, Jungkook and Jimin had decided to walk with them, their own dorms in the same building.
It isn't until they are back in Hoseok's car, heading back across town that he finally speaks.
"You really are grown up aren't you?" He asks quietly, refusing to look at anything but the road.
"I wouldn't say that exactly, but yeah, I'm a legal adult now and stuff."
Hoseok is quiet, the radio on low volume filling the silence in the car as Poppie holds their breath.
"Where did you learn to dance like that?" Hoseok finally asks, his lip red from where he had been worrying it with his teeth.
Poppie shrugs, "It's not like it's a forbidden dance is it?"
"I suppose not," Hoseok relented, quietl filling the car again.
Finally Poppie can't take it any longer, "Are you mad at me?"
Hoseok expression quickly changes, "No, no, I promise I'm not! I don't think I ever could be!"
"Then why do you seem mad?"
Hoseok hesitates but shakes his head, "I've always thought of you as a little kid but back there you looked like an adult and I am having to change my mindset towards you."
"Oh," Poppie says, that did make sense after all, but it made them very happy, to be seen as something other than a child by someone they had always looked up to. They smirk, "Does that mean I finally have a chance with you?"
Hoseok's head whips to look at them so quickly that Poppie cringes, hoping he didn't just give himself whiplash.
"What did you just say?" He says, clearly surprised.
Poppie laughs, "Nothing," They get out between laughs.
Hoseok pulls the car over on the side of the road and Poppie's laugh dies in their throat.
"Hoseok?"
"Poppie, Did you just hit on me?" He asks, seriously.
Poppie nods, and Hoseok stares at them, searching their face.
"Hoseok, it's okay, you can turn me down, I know I'm not someone you would be interested in."
Hoseok shakes his head almost aggressively, "No that's not it at all, I really like you, I think you are attractive and you have a great personality."
Poppie stares at him dumbfounded, a few hours ago their biggest issue was math class and now they were sitting in a car with their crush of a lifetime, being told they were attractive?
"I think I'm more worried about your brother to be honest, he's going to kill me."
"Wait," Poppie holds up both of their hands, "Are you seriously considering dating me? Because if you aren't serious I'm the one who is going to kill you."
"Poppie, I am 100% serious, I really like you and I know your mom already likes me, so it's a win win!" Hoseok says, ignoring Poppy's mouth hanging open in shock, "It's just your brother I'm worried about."
"You can't be serious," Poppie says, finally finding their voice again.
Hoseok looks over again, confused, "What?"
"I've had a massive crush on you for half my life and you just casually decide one day that you want to date me?"
Hoseok has the decency to look sheepish as he nods, waiting for Poppie to say something else.
Finally they shake their head, "Wow, you are lucky I really like you or I would walk the rest of the way home."
Hoseok's grin practically blinds Poppie, so obviously happy that they have to look away.
"It really is late though, and I have to eat still before bed, can we start driving again," Poppie asks, thinking about the early morning classes that come with most high school careers.
Hoseok nods and gets the car moving again, taking a shortcut toward the house.
"So what now?" Poppie asks, unsure what had just happened and what that meant for either of them.
Hoseok shrugs, "What do you want to happen now?" 
Poppie flushes slightly, "I don't know really." 
"Let's just start with texting more and see what happens from there?" Hoseok suggests, "And I'll come help you with your math if you need."
Poppie grins, "I think I can handle that, thank you!"
"For what?" Hoseok asks, sending Poppie a sweet smile.
"For being you," Poppie smiles and opens their phone, changing Hoseok's contact name in their phone, a soft smile on their face as Hoseok finally pulls up to the house.
"Thanks again Hoseok," Poppie says, grabbing their bag to climb out of the car.
"Any time, Poppie," He smiles, "Let me know if you want to come to dance again, and text me later in general, okay?"
Poppie nods and climbs out, waving as he pulls away from the house.
Life was looking much better now than it had this morning, and Poppie wouldn't exchange this day for the world.