4: ˡᵃˢᵗ ˢᵃˡᵛᵃᵗⁱᵒⁿ

☁️ ·̩͙✧C H A P T E R  F O U R

☁️ ·̩͙✧
C H A P T E R  F O U R

2 YEARS AGO

"Dracarys, Venmor"

THE YOUNGER dragon threw fire into the air as Mevanya smiled over Ilaxia.
They had been training a bit, Mevanya liked to train her dragons herself, it helped her to connect better with them, to get dominance right for better obedience.
Ilaxia, like her rider, watched her baby, when it did something wrong, she was there to correct it as well, and with her help, they could pretend the attack of another dragon. Mevanya had trained them like this for years, reading some ancient accounts of how Visenya and Aegon Targaryen trained Vhagar and Balerion for battle. Not that she would ever go into battle, but it was a good way to connect deeply with her dragons.

After an hour and a half of training, they flew back to the castle. She had promised Helaena to spend the afternoon with her and the children so she could avoid her insufferable, drunken husband. Mevanya gladly agreed, she could imagine no worse torture than being married to Aegon, she could barely have him for a brother, and that was torment enough.

"You're happier than usual," Haelena mentioned to her sister as they both walked the little twins around the castle, playing and running around with each other.
"Can't I be happy?" questioned the other platinum with a giggle.
"I don't know, you tell me, did something happen at Dragonstone that you haven't shared with me?"

Mevanya kept the blush from her cheeks well enough, but she couldn't keep the small smile off her face.
That little evening lesson she had begun a year ago with Jacaerys had not been her last. Mevanya's two weeks at Dragonstone afterwards had been filled with small encounters, furtive glances and late-night study sessions. There were almost no words between them, but the glances and the moments were enough. So it was on their last visit, too. And even if it sounded ridiculous, sometimes it seemed as if they were doing it on the sly, as if theirs was something to hide, as if theirs was something at all.

Or it could just be her imagination talking, too.

"No, it's just that... Venmor has improved a lot in the last week, and at least one of Ilaxia's eggs is about to hatch, I can feel it."

Not that she wanted to lie to Helaena, but she didn't really know what to tell her, or if there was anything to tell at all. Helaena didn't understood her feelings, even if she appreciated her sister's company, but Helaena was something different, and Mevanya didn't want to overwhelm her sister with things she wouldn't understand.

"Princess Helaena, Princess Mevanya," her imaginary tales were interrupted by Ser Criston Cole's voice.

Both women stopped their steps and Helaena took her children's hands to pull them to her, as Mevanya, the mother also felt the strange, perturbing vibe emanating from the man.

"Ser Criston," they both raised their heads higher.
"I hope your day is going well, Your Highnesses."
"Everything is in order, thank you."

The man turned to look at her, much to her chagrin. She already knew what he was coming to do, and everything in that scenario did not look good for her.