14: ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᵉᵍⁱⁿⁿⁱⁿᵍ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰᵉ ᵉⁿᵈ

☁️ ·̩͙✧C H A P T E R  F O U R T E E N

☁️ ·̩͙✧
C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

RHAENA BROUGHT her all the news of what she had missed while unconscious. The girl looked as tired as everyone else, with those terrible purple circles under her eyes and the air of sadness and gloom that seemed to fill the entire castle. Still, she tried to smile for Mevanya as she poured some tea to relax the girls muscles.

They had already conquered Harenhal thanks to Daemon and his command, their allies were strong, they had the support of Corlys Velaryon's unrivalled fleet, and the military support of many, many others, including heavily House Blackwood and, with what Rhaena had named the "Pact of Ice and Fire", the full support of Cregan Stark and his strong pack.

"What about my sister?" She asked when Rhaena had finished telling her the facts, but never mentioned the queen.

Mevanya had been thinking of Rhaenyra ever since she opened her eyes again. If she had seen the pain in Jace and Rhaena after Luke's death, she could only imagine what Rhaenyra Targaryen's eyes were screaming.

"The queen has been... busy," was all she said as she rose to pour another cup of tea, or rather to evade Mevanya's questions.
"Well, if she can't come to me, I'll go to her," she went to get up, or at least try to.

She hated to admit it, hated to remember it, but Criston Cole had known well where to strike. At the time, the adrenaline of having to escape gave her strength to stand, but now, relatively out of danger, her body struggled to even sit up on the bed alone.

"Nya, please..." Rhaena went to approach her cousin, but the door opening managed to stop Mevanya for a second.

Baela came through the bedroom door first poking her head in, then her whole body when she saw that her twin was also there.

"Rhaena, why don't you go get some rest? You haven't been able to sleep well these days, I'll take care of Mevanya, okay?" The older of the twins approached her sister with a smile, and clasped one of her hands in hers.

That was true, but who really slept in times of war? Death still stalked her night and day.

Rhaena looked down at Mevanya, and the princess gave her a faint smile and nodded, taking the girls other hand.

"Go, I know you're tired, I'll be fine, I promise."

Rhaena looked at her sister once more, and asked her to take good care of Mevanya, then left the room with almost shuffling steps.

A silence settled between the two women for a moment, until Mevanya broke it with her small moans of pain while still trying to get out of bed.

"Do you need any help?" Baela asked, not getting too close or wanting to barge in on the woman.
"No I...I can," or so she wanted to believe.