10: ˢˡᵒʷˡʸ ˡᵒᵒˢⁱⁿᵍ ˢᵃⁿⁱᵗʸ

☁️ ·̩͙✧C H A P T E R  T E N

☁️ ·̩͙✧
C H A P T E R  T E N

SILENCE WRAPPED around their necks like a rope. Mevanya dared not even look at her mother, and Alicent, with tears in her eyes, tried unsuccessfully to get closer to her daughter.

"Mevanya please..."
"What do you want from me, mother? Huh? What do you want from all of us? What haven't we given you already?" Her voice sounded really hurt, hoarse and worn out from all the crying and screaming she had done hours ago.

She had come to think, really to believe, that things were going well, that they could go well, that maybe, maybe, she could have a decent life. But she was as deluded as ever.

"Sweetling, it's not... it's not that..."
"Then what is it, mother! I thought...I thought you'd finally put it all behind you, that we could put it all behind us. But you betrayed Rhaenyra, you betrayed me, and worse, you betrayed yourself! You dragged us all down with you! Aegon is gone, Helaena lives a miserable life, Aemond is a pawn at your command, Daeron isn't even home, and I...!

Her words were cut off. She felt her throat burn with the words she hadn't been able to finish. Her chest rose and fell violently, and she sobbed with despair.

"I... I just wanted to be your daughter..."

It weighed on her like never before to admit that. She couldn't even look her mother in the face afterwards.

Alicent didn't even breathe at her daughter's confession. Her throat began to grow heavy and her stomach felt like it was going to drop. How could she explain everything to her daughter? To save her she had to ruin their relationship, she had to let her daughter go.

"I'm sorry, Mevanya," and with those words that did nothing for her wounded heart, her mother withdrew, leaving her in the dark hole of despair that enveloped her without mercy.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

Mevanya paced the corridors, the guard assigned to her struggling to keep up. When she reached her brother's door, she opened it without permission and entered with a clenched jaw. Her two brothers, her mother and guard, and her grandfather were present, all turning to look at her.

"You should have left while you had the chance," she told Aegon.

She had hoped that her foolish brother had managed to do one thing right in his life and escaped. But her hopes had been foolishly pinned on the most worthless person she'd ever met in her life.

"Believe me, I would had."

"I want to talk to my betroth. Alone," she told them all. Looking directly at Aemond.

Otto Hightower opened his mouth to deny Mevanya, but his daughter was quick to step forward and beat him to the punch.

"The coronation will take place today, in the dragon pit, do not delay," and without letting anyone protest, she left the room, leaving the betrothed alone.
"Mevanya..."
"They're yours," she said suddenly, leaving Aemond confused.
"What?"
"The twins... you're the father, aren't you?"