8: ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ⁿᵃᵐᵉ

☁️ ·̩͙✧C H A P T E R  E I G H T

☁️ ·̩͙✧
C H A P T E R E I G H T

6 YEARS AGO

THE ELEVEN summers old face was drenched in tears as she hid her head between her legs.
A few minutes ago, by mistake, she had heard of the death of Ser Harwin Strong. And it had shattered the poor little girl to shreds.

She had already been feeling awfully bad since the day she had seen him go, all because of Ser Criston Cole, and now to think that she would never see him again, the man who had supported her so much, who had given her so much, broke her heart.

"Mevanya?" Another child's voice interrupted her crying.

When the little girl raised her head and saw her older brother standing in front of her, she frowned slightly and turned her face away again.

"Go away, Aemond!"
"Are you... are you all right?" The boy didn't listen to her, instead, he approached her slowly.
"I'm not in the mood for teasing, okay? If you want to bother someone, go and bother Aegon, but please, leave me alone."

She didn't hear his voice again, just felt him sit down next to her seconds later.

"No, Aegon is too busy drinking and mourning his betrothal to our sister, I don't think he's in the mood to tease you today."

Mevanya lifted her head, wiping her eyes as best she could with the sleeve of her dress and looking at her brother with uncertain eyes. It had been years since she and Aemond had had a long conversation, an interaction between them. Now, seeing him trying, in a strange way, to comfort her, was quite strange for her.

"So what do you want, then."
"Nothing. Just to get away from the funeral, everyone's terribly off."
"Well, it's a funeral," the girl remarked, obviously.
"Is that why you're crying? For Lady Laena?"

Mevanya lowered her and shook her head. Even if she had considered Lady Laena Velaryon an incredible woman, and admired her greatly for riding the great Vhagar, she hadn't spent enough time getting to know her to grieve for her as she was grieving for Harwin Strong. That, obviously, she could not tell his brother, she did not think the boy could understand her affection for the Knight.

"No, just... mother was angry with me."

And boy, had she been angry with her.

Alicent, upon learning that Mevanya had taken Ilaxia's egg and now owned not one, but two dragons, had been angry with her daughter. For never telling her, and for not wanting to give her older brother, who did not yet have a dragon, a chance to claim Venmor. Mevanya had steadfastly refused to let her dragon be taken from her, because even though Venmor was still very much a hatchling, they had already an incredible connection. Aside from knowing how much it meant to Ilaxia to keep her baby.

"Because of Venmor, right?"

The little girl was surprised that her brother knew about her second dragon, since only Everoh and her mother knew about the bond between the three of them.