snap twice

I didn't mean to fall asleep, but after sitting in the fetal position for like 10 minutes, I began to nap. I only woke up to Enid's squeals in the hallways coming back from the race.

This was followed by a light knock, and my door creaking open slowly.

"Inez?" Wednesday whispers, not sure if I was even there.

"I'm right here Day." I try to speak, but it only comes out as a mumble.

"Why'd you leave me alone out there? Everyone was smiling at me. It was seriously unsettling." Wednesday complains as she sits at the end of my bed.

Finally, I sit up, propping myself up against my bed board.

"I had to clear my head." I begin.

"I've never had a vision. I seriously don't know how you can act so calm after yours. It felt so real. Like I was really attacked by that monster again." I say, my eyes starting to tear up.

"What? It was in your vision? What else happened Inez?" Wednesday says, voice laced with concern.

I tell Wednesday everything, not leaving out a single detail.

All of the sudden, I feel a pair of cold arms wrap around my body, hugging me tightly.

"I'm sorry. It's all my fault. I'm putting you in danger." Wednesday says, still engulfing me with hugs.

"Its not your fault Wednesday. How could you even say that?" I ask her, slightly angry at her for thinking so low of herself.

"Every time I involve myself in this mystery, you are always hurt. If I hadn't chased Rowan in the woods, you wouldn't have been in the hospital a few days ago. Xavier was right." Wednesday says emotionally.

"Xavier said that? Oh my god I think I'm gonna kill him." I say, standing up.

"Inez stop. Xavier cares about you. I didn't tell you this yesterday, but Bianca used her powers on Xavier. That's why he kissed Bianca. She admitted it while I was hiding in his dorm. Then. she started to talk badly about you. He came to your defense every time she brought you up. I seriously think he was telling the truth when he said he didn't know what you were talking about." Wednesday begins to ramble.

"What?" Is all i could get out of my mouth.

Of course Bianca would do that. How could I be so stupid.

"Why didn't he just tell me that?" I ask Wednesday, who is now rubbing circles on my back in an attempt to calm me down.

"I don't think he knew until recently."

I grab my phone, unblocking Xavier's number, and texting him a simple apology text. To my surprise, he doesn't reply within minutes like he used to.

Makes sense. I would hate me too for not believing him sooner.

"What did you come in here to tell me?" I ask Wednesday, trying to clear my mind of Xavier.

"While I was hiding from the crowds of people after the race, I found the same symbol from Rowan's drawing." Wednesday says, pulling a piece of paper out of her pocket.

"Since when did you have this? I could have easily told you about the symbol at the top." I ask Wednesday, slightly annoyed that she didn't trust me enough to show me her evidence.

"I found it on the floor next to you and I quickly stuffed it in my pocket before I carried you back to the festival. I just didn't want to worry you." Wednesday admits.

"Never mind that. Lets go back to that old statue next to the quad. Thats where the symbol is, right?" I ask.

Wednesday looks shocked at my knowledge of the location, but just nods her head yes as we make our way to the statue.

"Snap twice." I say after seconds of inspecting the statue.

"What?" Wednesday asks.

"It's the answer to the riddle. Snap twice." I respond.

In perfect unison, Wednesday and I snap, opening up to a secret staircase.

We make our way downstairs, quickly realizing the books are just like the ones from Wednesday's visions.

Wednesday walks around the shelves, inspecting each book. Suddenly, she stops in her tracks, noticing a spot clear of dust.

Pulling out the book, Wednesday immediately finds the section of the book missing a page.

"Great. We've got the book. Now lets get out of here. This place is super creepy." I say before my vision goes dark, a black cloth covering my face and a hard object hitting my head from behind, knocking me out.

Authors note:

IM SO SORRY!!! I forgot to name this chapter haha