rave'n

I break from my silent trance when I hear twigs crunch under someone's feet behind my tree. I peak my head out the side of the tree, catching a glimpse of whoever was there.
Xavier.
I find myself rushing to catch up with him.
"Hey Xav wait up!" I yell to get him to slow down.
"Inez, Hi." He smiles warmly.
The way his dimples show when he makes even the smallest smile, or the way his hair is messily placed in a bun.
I feel like my legs are jello even just looking at him.
"Did you need something? Why are you out here anyways?" He asks.
"Oh... I uh.."
To be completely honest, even I didn't know why I was standing there talking to him.
"I wanted to go over Miss Thornhill's homework assignment." I make up.
If I was going to be in this awkward situation, at least I could get some homework done.
"She didn't assign us homework. Remember?" He says, grinning.
How could I remember that if I wasn't listening to begin with?
"Oh." Is all I can make come out of my mouth.
"Is this about a certain dance happening later tonight?" He asks me slyly.
This was the last thing I had on my mind.
Why would I reward myself with going to a school dance when I just killed someone?
I stay silent, wishing that I had never chased after him.
"Are you really going to make me ask?" He says, bending down to my eye-line.
Still, I remain silent.
Please don't ask. Please don't ask.
"Will you go to the Rave'n with me Inez?" He asks with puppy eyes.
Hell no
"Ok" I say.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? WHY DID I SAY YES?
"I'll pick you up at your dorm at seven then." He says excitedly.
"Seven." I groan.
I return to my tree, feeling defeated.
At least I could feel something now.

"OH MY GOD! I can't believe Inez Fallon is going to the Rave'n with Xavier Thorpe. I need to post this on my blog." Enid squeals.
"What a comeback." Yoko jokes beside me.
We are sitting on one of the many tables in the quad, as a group.
"You know what you need?" Enid asks excitedly.
"A bullet to the head." Wednesday says, walking up to the table.
"No you silly, a dress!" Enid shakes her head at Wednesday.
Enid and Yoko practically drag me onto a bus leading to town.
The pair make me try on hundreds of dresses, none standing out.

"Why do I have to wear white?" I ask, annoyed.
"Because it's the theme silly." Enid says.
I look through the clothing racks in front of me, nothing catching my eye.
"Well can't I just wear something else. Like-"
My eyes stop on a beautiful red dress with black mesh layering.
"You should definitely try that on." Yoko says, looking through clothing racks beside me.
"Oh my god Inez! You look so pretty!" Enid squeals as I emerge from the dressing room.
"Your wearing that dress tonight." Yoko orders.
"Yes ma'am." I salute to her jokingly.
Spending time with the two really takes my mind off of things, almost making me feel normal.
After we got the dress, the rest of the outfit kind of put itself together.
I already had the prettiest Mary Janes in my closet, so I only needed accessories.
I got ready quickly, putting on light makeup, and painting my nails with Thing.

"You did not! Thing oh my god she's going to kill you when Tyler knocks on her door." I laugh with Thing.
"Hey thanks for letting me talk to you. Wednesday is great and all but your the only person- appendage- here who actually listens to me." I thank Thing.
Happy to help Thing signs as he finishes up my nails.
"Thing! You did so good. These are beautiful." I smile widely as I look at my now dark red nails.
If only happiness like this lasted forever. I could already tell that by the end of the night, I would feel numb again.
I have to go. Surprising Wednesday with a dress I saw her eyeing today He says
"Okay. Bye, love you." I tell Thing as he crawls out through my dorm door.

—this is what I was imagining for Inez's outfit, but feel free to imagine it however you want—