bullets in the thigh and the heart - j.t

pov: you and jason were both robins together and after he died you had become an anti-hero.
-----

CRAVKKCRACLALKAKCRACKCKSYAHAHYAHT

Bullets flew through the air as you dodged them as best you could, desperately searching for cover. There was already one lodged in your thigh and you did not plan on multiplying it. You zipped through the building and hid behind a storage container to catch your breath. About thirty different henchmen were searching for you and the small case of kryptonite you had stolen from them. It was supposed to be a quick in-n-out mission but your intel on how many people were going to be there was a little wonky. Since you were already there, you might as well thought to finish the mission anyways. Nothing could go wrong right?

The men on their own weren't so greatly trained and taking them one by one wouldn't be so hard but due to the amount of them, it was going to be impossible to get out. You continued sneaking past containers and making your way up and up the building. Your plan was to get onto the roof and jump into the lake as your cover.

"SHE'S OVER HERE!!" A man yelled and gunshots followed you. No longer focused on being sneaky, you ran like hell up the stairs. Once you got to the next floor you were surrounded. You went into a fighting stance with only one arm since the other was holding the case of kryptonite.

"Can we just like...Talk this out I had a big dinner and I don't really know if-"
Your banter was cut off by a shattered window and the entrance of another vigilante - Red Hood. And his guns. Once he began airing the place out you took this as a cover to continue running up the stairs to make your escape. Before you made it all the way up, you took out your own gun and shot one of the goons that annoyed you the most. Your relationship with Red Hood was minimal, sometimes you helped him and sometimes he helped you out, paired with small conversations and the occasional flirting. Once you reached the top of the roof you walked towards the edge and looked into the water, thinking about if this was really your best plan to get out.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you princess, it's real chilly in the winter." You turned around to see the source of the voice. Red Hood spoke loudly behind you with a hand on his hip and a gun at his side. You suspected he had finished with the goons downstairs and had come to question you.

"I think that might have been one of my last concerns tonight..Thanks for the assist though." You laughed lightly before looking back into the water, still mentally preparing yourself for the jump. Even if the goons were gone, you knew Lex would hear about it and more people would be after you soon. You needed to get the hell out of here.

"What's in the case sweetheart?" His voice became closer as he inched his way from the entrance towards you. You had a feeling he already knew what it was and that maybe this time he wasn't really here just to help you out. It was a little suspicious that he even knew to come here.

"Something that should be far away from here.." Something else kept you from jumping off still, you wanted to hear what else he had to say. What you planned on doing with the case you weren't so sure yet. A part of you wanted to reach out to Batman - He would know what to do with it but you hadn't spoken with him in months. Even then your interactions with him were short. After Jason died you strayed away from Batman as much as possible. Bruce hated  what kind of person you had become. You let your bitter thoughts consume you and no longer cared much about Gotham.  You were a completely different person now who also didn't mind selling that case for an extra buck.

"Something I know Black Mask is going to be after...Let me handle it for you." You turned around and Red Hood was even closer. He had stopped and his hand was held out for you to hand him the case. It was known he had an icky relationship with Black Mask and you were surprised he hadn't killed him yet. There was a genuine concern in his voice but you knew he had his own plans for it. There was a deeper motive than his concern for you.

"Really sweet Hood but I've got my own plans. I'll be there when you need me." You turned around again to finally hop off but was stopped when he grabbed your arm unexpectedly. You turned around and cringed, though he wouldn't of been able to tell your expression with your mask covering your face.

"I wasn't asking. Let me handle it for you." His tone was harsher this time but a little quieter. You knew he didn't want to fight you but something about a cat and mouse chase with him sounded thrilling.

"I have a better idea. Hope you've got a speedo under there." You gave him a quick up and down while speaking quickly before dropping the case off the building and into the water below. Before he could process what you have done, you pulled out of his grip and jumped off the rooftop after the case. You dived into the water below with a large splash, with your hooded friend following soon after.

The salt in the water burned the bullet wound in the back of your thigh and your adrenaline began turning into fatigue. Despite your tiredness, you swam quickly to find the case. The water was dark and it didn't help that he was looking for it too. The water was freezing and you made a mental note to take a million hot showers once you returned home. Due to how dark the water was, you failed to find the case and you quickly swam back up for some air before diving back in and going towards the bottom to wave your hands around for it. You had no idea where Red Hood had gone and assumed he was looking for it as well.

After some time, you finally found the case. You slowly swam to shore with whatever energy you had left and laid in the sand with the case tightly in your hands. Without much thought, you slipped off your mask and coughed up water trapped in your lungs. Once you recovered, you looked off into the water and wonder where the other vigilante had gone off too. Maybe he drowned?

"I'll take that." Great. His voice came from behind you as he tried slipping the case out of your arms. You gripped it tightly and turned around and offered him an offended look. You didn't have the energy to play tug-of-war with him right now. You then noticed his other arm offered his gun aimed right at you.

"If you don't drop this case right now I'm going to drive the screwdriver in my utility belt so far up your ass that your going to throw it back up-" You spoke with a large inflict of annoyance and fatigue. You no longer had the energy to give a better quip. Before you could think of anything else, you realized your mask was still off. Shit. It's not like he would know your identity by name anyways, he was probably some random dude from another city who just came to fuck with other people.

After being lost in your thoughts, you noticed him taking a good look at you. It was almost like he was in a trance or you were like insanely ugly and he just died inside. To your surprise, he slowly let go of the case and lowered his gun. He then took several steps back and you couldn't tell what he was doing.

"Don't tell me you put a bomb on the case." You still held onto the case tightly, doubting he'd do that.

"It's you...God.....Just go." His voice shook and you noticed how closed off his body language became. Suddenly his sly snarky "got it all under control" identity became a shy house cat afraid of visitors.

"Yeah it's me. You don't like what you see lover boy or what?" You dropped the case to reach for your mask since he obviously wasn't going to fight you for it anymore. You slipped your mask back on  and sat up to squeeze the water out of your hair. He watched you intently until you picked yourself up and figured out how you were going to get off of the shore and back onto the streets.

Red Hood didn't know how to respond and you hated how you couldn't see his expression. He hesitantly took his grappling hook off of his belt and dissapeared into the night without another word.

"Okay....See you later too.." His sudden disappearance confused you..A lot. Something was off with him and it felt personal. Your need for warmth in the winter while being in soaking wet clothes overcame your curiosity and you quickly ran home without much other thought.