too good 2 be true part 2

After a few more minutes, the entrance to the tent was closed and you found a hay stack to take a seat on. You tried to act casual and wondered how something like this was happening right out in the open and how many random families just brought their kids in there without knowing what was really going on. You anxiously tapped your foot and scanned around the room for any suspicious activity.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to Gotham's very own - City circus auction!-" A fat man appeared on the stage with a microphone.

"Is this hay stack taken?" Jason crept up behind you and you flinched at his voice. You kept your face forward and stayed silent while he casually sat next to you while facing forward.

"I don't get it. Why is there nothing secret about this? How do you think they're going to casually sell drugs or guns with all the families here?" You muttered to him in question.

Jason stifled a laugh and disguised it as a cough before rubbing his neck nervously. "Yeah I'm really sorry for not explaining any of this sooner. It'll make sense in a second."

"Oh so you're still not going to tell me anything?" You angrily muttered back.

"No no- Babe I didn't mean it like that I'm just trying to stay-" He spoke defensively.

Before he could finish you interrupted him back. "You know what! I don't care- Just- Ugh! Whatever!"

A man sitting in a hay stack in front of you turned around with a finger on his mouth and shushed you. Your jaw dropped at his audacity and you did the same back to him and spoke harshly "You shush!"

"Babe this is really not the time- We don't wanna make a scene." Jason was holding back a laugh and that made you even angrier.

The man in front of you turned back around and looked at Jason then spoke "Yeah! Shut your whore up before I do!"

Jason's playful attitude and smile dropped and he spit back "Don't fucking talk to my girl like that."

You facepalmed and tried to contain your anger. This dude was pissing you off but you couldn't put the mission at risk. You held Jason's hand and muttered "It's not worth it."

"Yeah I wasn't talking to her, I was talking to you! What the hell are you going to do about it?" The man suddenly stood up from his hay and turned around to face the two of you. He was a little shorter than Jason and had a beer belly. The man sported a greasy muscle shirt (without the muscle part) and some khaki shorts. And a cowboy hat. How fashionable.

Jason instinctively stood up as well and you looked around and noticed that everyone around you was now staring and eavesdropping on this brawl. The announcer had taken notice and the whole tent was quiet.

"Do we have an issue over there?" The announcer spoke curiously. At that announcement, the whole tent turned to look at what was going on. So much for not making a scene.

You stood up alongside Jason and grabbed his hand. "We were just leaving." You gave everyone a dirty look before tugging his arm and pulling him away. You walked quietly with you leading him like a toddler out of the tent. You heard the auction continue and some laughs as you exited and you pulled him to a nearby tree then let go.

"Y/N I-" Jason began and you stopped him.

"You were going to start a fight during a undercover mission- Where you SPECIFICALLY said not to make a scene at? Why?" You were angry but it was hard not to laugh at. You knew he had good intentions but the execution was so so poor..

"I don't care if this is a mission I'm not letting some bastard disrespect you." Oh no not the puppy dog eyes.

"Oh ok so it's fine for you to defend me but when I defend myself there's an issue? Why didn't you just tell me the truth Jason? You're putting more people in danger and I can't even help properly because I don't know anything!! All for what? To lie to me so you didn't have to plan some time with me that wasnt- Whatever the fuck this is!!!" You felt your face hot and you rested your hands on the sides of your head.