Escape

Bamwind had everything he wanted.

Except freedom.

Ever since he was born, he's had to adhere to every rule and tradition the village wanted for him. Since his brother was the one to act out, he's had to protect his family's reputation by being the good son.

Ever since he became commander, he has had more rules and regulations imposed on him.

And he's had enough.

Packing clothes and food in a bamboo backpack with his katana, under the guise of the moonless night, he headed out.

He took quiet steps to the place he knew best, the river. Despite the rushing water doing little to calm his nerves, he still wanted to feel the water one more time.

Sitting by the shore, he placed his hands in the water, calming his racing heart. He was so immersed in the stillness, he didn't notice the steps behind him.

"...sir?" A soldier said, seeming worried for his leader.

His body tensed up, his breath hitching in his throat before he slowly turned his head to the source of the voice.

"What are you doing here?" Bamwind asked, barely keeping up the facade of being calm.

"Same as you sir. Getting the hell out of here. I have a backpack too."

He sighed, not bothering to keep up the lie anymore, but before he could speak, the soldier continued.

"Don't say you weren't going to escape. That'd be a lie. The village may not notice it, but I notice you're a damn liar."

"What is that supposed to mean?" He raised an eyebrow.

"It means I know about you and your so called 'friend.'"

"I see." Bamwind's heart began racing again, "Are... Are you going to tell anybody?"

"Why should you care? You aren't going to be here anyways. Where the hell are you even going anyways?"

"I don't know."

"That's a terrible idea. There's rumors of a city called Popcorntopia to the right of here, far away. If you're going to run away, at least give it a shot. Let me walk you to the border. I know a place where we won't be noticed."

Bamwind nodded and got up, following the soldier to a woodsy part of the territory. As they got to the border, they both stopped.

"Well, this is it. Beyond here is... I don't know. I'll see you when I see you."

"Goodbye, and thank you."

As the soldier walked off, he nervously took a step forward, clutching his backpack. He's too far gone now.

Now, he had nothing but his freedom.