Banjex

After what seemed like forever, the device stopped, and Yambo opened the door, guiding him towards the holding cell, which had a strong herbal odor to it. He took his backpack before closing the door.

"Stay here, I'll get Bambop to sign you in."

He walked away, leaving Bamwind to whoever had the odor.

"Jesus Christ. You look like shit." The man slurred, as if he was intoxicated. "What happened to you?"

"Nothing happened to me." He responded in a stern voice, trying to hide the fact that he was utterly terrified. He was not used to being in a position without power, and he certainly wasn't used to being a prisoner.

"Bullshit aside, you got one of those hats that my roommate Bamburai has. Are you from the same village or something?"

Bamwind froze upon the man mentioning his name. His brother was here, in this very town! The thought of confronting his brother only made him more terrified. Surely he had told everyone about the terrible thing he had done, which probably had included the man as well.

He began trembling, afraid as the man walked a bit closer to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. He flashed fire from his hands in the man's face, which had intimidated him, letting him know that he was not weak. The thought of that didn't make him feel any better.

"Dude... dude... chill. I'm not going to hurt you or anything. You're shaking like a leaf. I just- I just wanted to make sure you're alright."

Oh. He was friendly. Before anything else could happen, a man came towards the cell, opening the door.

"Bamwind? Am I pronouncing that right? Come with me." Bambop led Bamwind into a cold room, sitting him on a chair. "So you fled your village, right?"

He nodded.

"So, we can apply you to be considered a refugee, but I have to ask this- Do you have any family in Popcorntopia?"

"Bamburai-" He gasped. "I need to see my brother."

"Oh, Bamburai." The policeman didn't seem amused at the mention of his name. "That's the guy who usually bails another prisoner out, and he's in tonight, I'll see if you can get picked up when he comes up. Since you're not in the system, I can't really check anything, but I have to take your fingerprints."

He complied, putting his hand on the paper, before being led to the holding cell once more. The man in the cell waited for Bambop to leave before speaking to Bamwind.

"Hey, I'm really sorry I scared you. Name's Banjex."

"Bamwind. Nice to meet you, Banjex."

"Since you're a member of the village-clan-whatever Bamburai is in, he'll probably take you in. I'll ask when I get picked up, which should be soon."

"I.. don't think that will happen."

"How come?" Banjex sat down on the cot.

"We share a lot of... unpleasant history together."

"I know Bamburai. He's kind, he won't turn down taking someone in."

He couldn't help being somewhat proud of his little brother, that despite his actions, he turned out to be a good person. A faint sound of a device could be heard, and Banjex hopped up.

"Speaking of which! Come on."

Faint talking could be heard, and the jingle of keys got closer as Bambop led Bamburai to the cell. The cell door opened, and Banjex ran outside.

"Thanks, man."

"You have got to stop smoking weed at midnight."

"Uh- Anyways, there's a guy here from your village, he fled and he's practically homeless. You gotta take him in."

"Banjex, what-" Bamburai looked over to the policeman, skeptical. "From my village?"

"Yes. Your brother's here." Bambop said.

Bamburai's eyes widened.

"WHAT!?"