Useless

A/N: Happy New Years, y'all. A panic attack happens in this chapter, so if you're sensitive to that, please skip this chapter.

——-

"I should kill you right where you stand, Bamwind." Bamburai's voice wavered as he looked at his estranged brother, clenching his fists.

"Bamburai, chill out."

"No, fuck you, Banjex. You don't get to-"

"I'm sorry." Bamwind said, lowering his head in shame. Bamburai froze at his words, before beginning to sob. Banjex put a hand on his shoulder, before looking back at Bamwind with a judgemental expression.

"Just- just get in the car, both of you." Bamburai choked out. Banjex reluctantly complied, exiting the police station.

The three walked out of the police station, entering the car with Bamburai in the front seat, with someone else in the other front seat. Bamwind didn't speak, being afraid that he would start crying as well.

"Bamburai, who's this?" The woman asked, leering at the other man in the back seat.

"Brother- Said he was sorry- God!" was all that he responded with, before breaking down into tears.

"Are you sure we can trust him?" She leaned over, giving him a hug, which had stopped his crying. "He looks like he's been surviving in the woods for the last couple of weeks. What if he's trying to take advantage of you?"

"I mean- I talked to him for a bit, he just seems scared." Banjex interrupted. "And jerkish."

"Scared?" Bamberly pulls out of the hug and looks over to Bamwind, who was fidgeting uncomfortably in his seat, before sighing. "Fine. But for one night only. I can't believe I'm doing this..."

Bamberly began driving, the ride to the Stylish God's house was quiet except for music, which only served to make Bamwind more nervous than he already was. Everything was so unfamiliar and, as much as he didn't want to admit it, scary.

He placed his hand on the window of the car, the rumbles of the car somewhat reminding him of the river back home. No, it wasn't home anymore. He knew he could never return.

Maybe he wasn't meant to flee in the first place, he had a responsibility and he shirked it. The thought pushed Bamwind over the edge, feeling as if he couldn't breathe as tears welled up. He grasped at his hair for some semblance of control, shuddering as thoughts raced through his head.

He felt as if the world was spinning, convinced that he was about to pass out. The car stopped, he heard sounds of doors opening and faint chatter outside, but he was too stuck in his mind to do anything. Surely they were talking about how pathetic, how useless-

"Uhhh... Come on, man." Banjex said awkwardly, carefully guiding him towards the house. "It's gonna be okay."

He was taken aback by the gentle tone in his voice, letting the man guide him towards the house. He sat down on a couch, feeling Banjex sit next to him as his brother and the driver went upstairs.

The man then laid down, looking at Bamwind with a sympathetic look, waiting until his sobs stopped to begin speaking.

"You alright?"

"Yes." He said. "I'm sorry you had to see me in that state."

"It's okay, panic attacks can be a bitch."

"'Panic attacks?'"

"What you just experienced."

"I... did not know there was a name for it." He felt cathartic to know he was not the only one who experienced this. "Thank you."

"No problem." Banjex stood up, beginning to walk upstairs. "And good luck."