Chapter 5

Elodie sat on some old stone steps, her head resting against a pillar, or what was a pillar, as she closed her eyes and listened to her brother give another one of his speeches as they were surrounded by the war council.

"It's only a matter of time," Peter began. "Miraz's men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

Her lips hardened into a line at the mere thought of what her brother was about to suggest.

"What do you propose we do, your majesty?" the voice of the mouse, Reepicheep, asked and what happened next was both embarrassing and rather annoying. Both Peter and Caspian thought they were the ones being addressed as they went to answer, only to stop when they realised the other had spoken. The two boys stared at each other for a time before Peter finally broke the silence.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us," Peter insisted, but the prince's next words intrigued Elodie a great deal, yet not enough to bother opening her eyes.

"But that's crazy. No one has ever taken that castle."

"There's always a first time," Peter replied rather arrogantly which made Elodie scoff as she readjusted herself against the pillar.

"We'll have the element of surprise," Trumpkin added.

"But we have the advantage here!" Caspian insisted.

"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," Susan supported, surprising the prince, but yet he was also wondering when Susan's sister would finally speak up. Or if she was even awake.

"I, for one, feel safer underground," piped up Trufflehunter, a badger that helped heal Caspian after he was attacked by Telmarine guards.

"Look," Peter said as he addressed the prince. "I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes," Edmund agreed. "And if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out."

"We could collect nuts!" a squirrel suggested.

"Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines," Reepicheep replied sarcastically. "Shut up," he ordered the squirrel before turning to the rest of the assembly. "I think you know where I stand, sire."

Peter then turned to a centaur who was the nominated leader of them. "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?" he wondered. The creature who had first pledged his allegiance to Caspian, Glenstorm, glanced over to see the prince's desperate look not to do this, only to turn back to the High King.

"Or die trying, my liege," he vowed before Lucy spoke up from where she sat on the broke stone table.

"That's what I'm worried about."

"Sorry?" Peter questioned.

"You're all acting like there's only two options. Dying here or dying there."

"I'm not sure you've really been listening, Lu, much like Elodie," Peter replied, glaring at his twin who simply let her eyes stay closed and the corners of her lips rise.

"No, you're not listening," Lucy persisted. "Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough," he replied, anger bubbling inside him. "And for god's sake Elodie, I hope you are actually paying attention or else Edmund can lead the armies."

Her eyes opened at that as she pinned her brother with an icy glare. "Relax, Peter," she said calmly as if they couldn't be discussing their next actions in a war right now. "I've been paying attention, but I don't think you have."

"I think I liked it better when you didn't speak up," Peter snapped as Elodie rose to her feet and she stretched her long arms before hopping down the few steps with ease.

"Times have changed," she said simply. "And I think it's unwise to ignore the fact that Caspian said that no one has ever taken the Telmarine castle before."

Her brother turned to her in outrage as Susan watched Caspian's expression soften at her sister's words.

"So you're saying you want to die in this -"

"I never said that," she cut in, unfazed by her brother's frustration. "We may have more experience in battle than he does but he knows more about this world right now than we do and I simply said it would be unwise to ignore his council."

"Then what do you suggest we do?" Caspian asked, his accent rather thick around the words as Elodie turned to him.

"Unfortunately, what I think we should do won't matter," she answered as she held his eyes. "Because my twin brother is even more stubborn than I am. He'll go forth with the plan to invade the castle because he believes it's the best option. So, in that case, my efforts are better spent helping perfect this plan as opposed to fighting him into changing it."

Peter bit his lips, feeling rather guilty about his twin's words but not guilty enough to prove her wrong.

"So, what's your plan then, Ellie?" Susan wondered and Elodie turned to her griffin.

"Solomon," she called and the griffin sat up attentively.

"My queen," he said with a bow of his head.

"Ready your strongest fliers. They need to be fast, quiet and be able to carry us," she instructed and he bowed his head again.

"As you wish, my queen," Solomon said as he made his way out of the cavern and then she turned on the two boys.

"For the sake of this kingdom, you two better learn how to get along, or so help us, we're all going to end up like the White Witch."

And she stormed out of the room, her hair bouncing behind her after she'd undone her braid and the firelight shining against her silver axe blades. And she left the two, rather confused boys, to their own devices.