Chapter 24

The storm had finally passed as they gained sight of an island, but one that looked scarily like a desert. So once again, they anchored their ship down as they rowed the longboats towards the shore.

"I doubt the lords stopped here, your majesties," Reepicheep said as he observed the island from the bow of the boat, addressing his king and queen with his words. "There's no sign of anything living."

"Even still, you and your men are tasked with locating food and water. We'll need to restock rations if we are to defeat the likes of the green mist," Elodie ordered.

"As you wish, my queen," the mouse nodded.

"The four of us will search for clues," Caspian added from where he and Edmund were rowing their longboat with two other men.

"Hang on, you mean the five of us," corrected Eustace who sat at the front of the boat as everyone turned to give the boy a strange look. "Come on, please don't send me back to the rat."

"I heard that," informed the mouse from the boat next to them.

"Big ears," Eustace muttered.

"I heard that too," Reep repeated, which was impressive over the sound of the crashing waves and the roaring wind. And while her husband and siblings laughed, Elodie cracked a small smile as Caspian reached his foot forward to touch hers, hoping that it provided some sort of comfort as Lucy gripped her sister's hand. That nightmare from last night had really jarred her to the point where she was still trying to find her way back to the snappy and happy girl she usually was.

And after they reached the shore, Elodie and Caspian gave the orders to unload everything in the boats, none of them noticing Eustace's disappearance as the four of them began hiking the island, Caspian's hand in Elodie's as he led the way and helped her over the rocky ground as he led the way.

"Look, we're not the first ones on this island," Caspian revealed as he spotted a rope tied around a large piece of stone as it trailed down a hole in the ground.

"The lords?" Edmund asked.

"Could be," Caspian said as they stood before the crevice on the ground.

"And unfortunately the only way to find out would be going down there," Elodie said as she watched her husband toss one of the many crumbling pieces of stone into the hole as it bounced down.

"What do you think could be down there?" Lucy wondered.

"Let's find out," Edmund said as he grabbed the rope and began lowering himself down into the hole.

"Be careful, Ed," Elodie called as Caspian held the rope so it wouldn't rub against the edge of the crevice and snap. Once he hit the bottom of the cavern that was actually rather beautiful with the gaps in the ceiling that allowed the sun to shine through, making the whole space appear as if it was gold, Caspian was next to lower himself down. And while Edmund wandered around the cave, Caspian waited at the bottom of the rope as Lucy climbed down next, ready to catch her should the rope break or should she fall. The youngest queen then went chasing after her brother as Elodie made her way down into the cave. Caspian didn't let her get to the floor before he lifted her off the rope and into his arms as she just took a second to hold him. "I'm ok," she promised, her words referring to last night and reassuring to both of them.

"Doesn't mean I can't worry for you," he returned with a kiss to her temple as he set her onto her feet. The need to be close to her was one she appreciated as he linked their hands together and made their way over to the pool of water that Edmund was standing in front of. A pool of water with a strange statue inside. A statue that looked to be completely made of gold.