Chapter 30

Turns out all the longboats were effectively in pieces, but it didn't really matter, because once they got all of the people who had been taken on board, they used one of those boats. Edmund and Caspian were rowing as they moved through the water covered with the most beautiful lily flowers she'd ever seen, petals so white and fresh that they were almost blinding in the sunlight. And as they went, Eustace told them about his encounter with Aslan after he'd left them at Dark Island.

"So what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund asked.

"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot," he explained. "Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really. I'm so sorry for being such a sop."

Elodie gave him a warm smile from where she sat in front of him, leaning on the edge of the boat. "Sometimes it takes a while before you believe," she said kindly and he returned her smile.

"It's ok, Eustace," Edmund added. "You are a pretty good dragon."

And they all chuckled before Reepicheep announced from where he stood on the prow, "My friends, we have arrived."

And though it was a beautiful sight, Elodie was filled with nerves for she'd dreamed this before. She'd dreamed of the massive tidal wave that never crashed onto the shore, and sand so fine it was almost as white as the lilies. But she didn't let that fear control her as the boat was beached on the shore and they all disembarked, their fresh clothes and dry hair blowing in the wind as they beheld the wave that never crested but still sounded like it was crashing on the shore.

And as they walked closer to it along the strip of sand, Eustace eventually stopped, realising who was following them.

"Aslan," he called and they all stopped, Elodie's hand tightening on the bag she had strung on her shoulder as they turned to see the great lion.

"Welcome, children," he greeted. "You have done well. Very well, indeed. You have come far, and now your journey is at its end."

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked.

"No, my country lies beyond," Aslan answered, and even with the height of the wave, you could see the mountain peaks of the land that rested beyond it.

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian asked, and Elodie refused to look at anyone as her heart dropped in her chest.

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son," Aslan replied. "But you should know that if you continue, there is no return and Elodie will be forced to return to her world."

Elodie couldn't bring herself to say anything, physically unable to form the words, but her eyes said it all as they met Caspian's.

Go.

And with every step he took towards the wave, her heart broke further as Aslan moved to her side, Elodie refusing to cry as she ran her fingers through his mane, thanking him for his comfort as her time in Narnia began to run out.

Lucy took her hand as well as they watched Caspian place his into the wall of water, but they were all confused when he withdrew it and turned to face them once more, tears in his eyes as he emerged from the water.

"You're not going?" Edmund asked and Caspian gave him a small pained smile.

"I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for," he answered. "I've spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom. A people. A queen."