Chapter 27

(A/N: As requested...another chapter. Hope you enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

The entire ship was eerie as they made their way to the Dark Island, the sailors gearing up for war as the royals got into their armour, well, Elodie, Caspian and Edmund did. The girls were preparing in a small cabin as Lucy spoke to Gael, passing on the lesson she learned from Aslan who appeared to her after she tried to turn herself into Susan as she did up her buckles on the back of her sister's armoured corset. The boys, however, were preparing themselves inside Elodie and Caspian's chambers.

"In case we don't get through...whatever this is," Caspian began as he faced Edmund. "I want you to know that I'm glad we're brothers, Ed," he said and the younger king nodded.

"Me too."

Caspian then moved to help do up the straps on Edmund's armour when he realised something. "You gave up your sword," he stated.

"It wasn't mine to keep," Edmund replied, having really learned his lesson back at the golden pool on the desert island.

"Use this," Caspian offered and Edmund was stunned to see him holding out his brother's sword.

"But it's-"

"Peter would want you to have it," Caspian insisted, the sword really an olive branch between the two kings. "Besides, I'll have it back once you leave."

Edmund laughed as he gripped the sword and Caspian let go. "Thank you," he said sincerely and he didn't just mean for the sword, he meant for everything.

"You're welcome."

A knock on the door then sounded as it was pushed open to reveal Elodie, dressed in battle armour and whose eyes seemed rather cold, almost hurt, the blue just seemed duller than usual.

"Are you alright, darling?" Caspian asked and she simply inhaled sharply.

"We're going into battle. I'm here to do your hair," was all she said as Edmund glanced at the long locks of hair that touched Caspian's shoulders and that would definitely get in his face in a fight.

"I'll give you two a moment," Edmund said as Caspian clapped him on his shoulder and he slid past Elodie and out the door that he shut behind him. Caspian sat at the desk as his wife pulled a comb from a nightstand as she approached him. Her fingers were soft but her demeanour seemed hardened as she began to gently work the knots from his hair. Even after what he did, she still couldn't find it in herself to be mean or mad at him. She was just hurt.

"You are upset," Caspian noted after she was silent for a while, her nails scraping his scalp as she ran her fingers through the combed parts.

"I'm fine," she said curtly, wishing she could just do this in silence and get it over with.

"Lucy mentioned -"

"Lucy has a vivid imagination," she cut off, not even wanting to think about what her sister could've possibly told him.

"But one you've always believed," he pointed out. "Talk to me, Elodie."

"Why did you marry me?" she blurted as she stopped working and Caspian turned to her, both surprise and shock etched on his face as he held the back of the oak chair.

"What?"

"Why did you marry me?" she repeated, slower this time. "I know I'm not the most dignified or conventional woman, but I always thought you liked that about me-"