Chapter 28

For the sake of her crew and her kingdom, Elodie buried whatever pain she still felt after her conversation with Caspian. She did feel better though with her axe at her side. She'd realised that Caspian had given up Peter's sword to Edmund, leaving him weaponless. So she'd given him her sword in favour of her axe which she'd hidden behind the golden emblem of Aslan's face in their cabin. After the battle with the Telmarines had ended years ago, the weapon had become blessed with the ability to split into two upon Elodie's command. Caspian had laughed at her antics before accepting the sword, and gathering their crew on the deck as they made one of their speeches and the clouds that hovered over their heads became darker.

"No matter what happens here, every soul who stands before us has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader. Together we have travelled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together we can do it again," Caspian said as he turned to Elodie who stepped forward.

"It's been an honour serving with you all. And I know that in our kingdom's greatest time of need, you will not fall to fear's temptations. For we are Narnians and we are stronger than whatever darkness awaits us. And we owe it to all of the souls who were lost and all the souls who will be lost if we don't do this."

"Be strong. Never give in," Caspian reminded them. "Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia."

And that was the end of their speech as he reached for his wife's hand and began to escort her down the stairs before a crewman screamed the words, "FOR NARNIA!" And the royal couple stopped as the entire ship echoed their cries and Elodie couldn't help the smile on her face as she looked from her husband to her people and hope began to burn bright.

But that hope sufficiently dimmed once the sunlight faded behind them and they became immersed in darkness, the lanterns doing little to light the way as green mist swirled around them, whispering in their ears as they took shape.

"I can't see a damn thing. This fog is too thick," Drinian rasped as Elodie heard the sound of Liliandil's voice singing in her ear.

It wasn't the fact that Liliandil was speaking to her, it was the words she hummed. Words about how much better off Caspian was without her. If her family didn't need her, why did Caspian? Why did Narnia? What good was she without any powers? What good was she compared to a star?

And her fists clenched together so tightly she was surprised that she didn't pierce the skin with her nails as she began muttering to herself. "No! I am High Queen Elodie, the Brave. I am queen of Narnia, by election and by conquest, crowned by Aslan himself. I don't need the likes of your magic to accomplish what I have. No one's even heard of you anyway!"

And Liliandil's visage began to fade, the green smog still thick as they continued sailing and they heard a wail. Not the tepid wail of a child nor the shrill wail of a banshee. Rather it was a distant wail of warning.

"Keep away!" the voice called through the darkness, the jagged boulders of rock jutting out of the water barely visible through the mist. "Keep away!"

"Who's there?!" Edmund asked.

"We do not fear you!" Caspian declared.

"Nor I you!" the voice called back and Elodie sighed as her fear began to seep away.

"For Aslan's sake! Ed, where's your torch?" she asked and his eyes widened in realisation as she rolled her eyes and Edmund located where he'd left the modern invention. The torch's beam cut through the dark as it landed on a large rock and the man stranded on it.

"Keep away!" he called again.

"We will not leave," Caspian said.

"You will not defeat me," the man proclaimed and Elodie's face was slathered with shock when she saw the light of the torch bounce off the shiny item the man held.