Chapter 16

As she typically did, Elodie allowed herself to be forced into a dress as people lined the streets and cheered as they made their way back to the castle of Telmar. Her dress was a shimmering gold, much like the kingly crown now sitting on Caspian's head as they all sat atop horses and made their way through the streets as people threw flower petals, waved flags and blew trumpets. She also couldn't help but smile at the man who had been crowned King Caspian as he rode next to her. And that night, during the victory celebration, Elodie had watched the grandest display of fireworks she'd ever seen.

But it was the next day, as Elodie watched Aslan converse with Peter and Susan before joining them at the assembly of the kingdom, that had her heart beating like a hummingbird's in her chest as fear began to creep into her. She stood with her siblings, Peter and Susan on her right, Edmund and Lucy on her left, as Caspian addressed the crowd, and he tried his hardest not to glance at the stunning purple dress and simple side braid that she wore. Aslan and several of their other Narnian companions along with the professor also standing before the crowd with him.

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," he announced, ever the king he was supposed to be. "Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers," he revealed with a glance to the lion.

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," a man spoke up from the crowd.

"We're not referring to Telmar," Aslan informed them. "Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens. It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

Elodie was still trying to get over the fact that Aslan was opening a portal back to their world when another man, Miraz's old general, spoke up.

"I will accept the offer," he volunteered, and Caspian bowed his head that the man as he approached them.

"So will we," said Prunaprismia who was holding her son, Caspian's cousin, with a man Elodie assumed to be her father at her side. Together, the three of them along with the baby, approached Aslan as he spoke to them.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan told them. He then let out a great breath and the three adults could feel something change before the massive tree behind them began to move, untwisting its trunk to reveal an archway beyond a small set of wooden stairs. And with slow steps, they walked under the arch and vanished before their very eyes.

The crowds gasped as Caspian took a worried step forward, no sign of the souls that just set foot through the magical portal.

"Where did they go?" members of the crowd yelled.

"They killed them!"

"How do we know he is not leading us to our death?!"

"Sire," voiced Reepicheep as he stepped forward. "If my example can be of any service, I will take 11 mice through with no delay."

"We'll go," Peter volunteered and Elodie instantly took a step backward.

"We will?" Lucy asked, confused.

"Come on. Our time's up," Peter said, his eyes landing on his twin whose chest was rising and falling heavily with nerves as he turned to face Caspian. "After all, we're not really needed here anymore," he finished as he presented the king with his sheathed sword.

"I will look after it until you return," Caspian swore.

"I'm afraid that's just it," Susan piped up. "We're not coming back."