Chapter 3

Freya hummed as she went around the house, sweeping the floor. Once satisfied with that, she went out the back door to collect firewood for warming their home and starting dinner.

After Freya finished her chores, she made a quick stew for dinner. When she finished, she set up the table for everyone. It was then her father entered as she finished up. He was tired. He greeted his daughter and then sat at the table, "I'll be leaving soon to find their nest again. Watch over your brother."

Freya stared at him, then nodded, her curly hair bouncing along, "When do you leave?" She asked curiously. It wasn't the first time the Vikings went out to find this so-called dragon nest, but each time they came back empty-handed and tired. Some even started to doubt it existed. That was what she heard around the village.

"Tonight." He answered. "I need to speak to Hiccup first. There is something important I have to tell him."

"Ah, well, he's not here," Freya said, sitting beside Stoick.

"Did he run off again?" Stoick asked.

"If I know anything about Hiccup, then it would be he can't stay still for long. Besides, he needed time alone, and Gothi needed me to collect materials ." She quickly answered, only partly lying. She couldn't just come out and say that she spent her time taking care of a random dragon when she went to look for him.

Stoick could only sigh and shake his head. He was used to his son running off to Odin knows where. Times like this make him grateful to have Freya around. Stoick found Freya that unfortunate night in her parent's burning home alone. Her parents had both disappeared that night.

The newly orphaned baby girl wasn't crying as one might expect. No, she was smiling and looking at him with her sweet doe-like eyes. Stoick decided to take the young girl in, promising himself to protect her. It was also the last wish of his friend's wife before she was carried off much like his own wife. As she grew up and matured, Freya stepped up and became an anchor for the family, a nurturing presence.

Freya usually kept the household calm and functional ever since she was old enough to manage herself. The village used to whisper about the similarities between her and her birth parents. The ones from her mother were her undeniable beauty and intelligence. Her tongue and eyes were as sharp and deadly as a venom-covered blade. Her mother and Valka were the beauties of the village. While Valka was somewhat skittish and soft-spoken, Freya's mother was sharp with her words and commanded respect from those around her after all she was a warrior.

Meanwhile, she inherited her father's ability to be calm, collected, compassionate and affectionate to those around her. A healer's heart more than a warrior's.

It's one of the many reasons she and Hiccup are pretty close. Hiccup was especially sensitive when they were younger and always ended up with a scratch or bruise. Hiccup was her driving force for being a healer, he took her adventuring, and in return, she helped him when he'd inevitably wound himself and sometimes others. They were the perfect sibling duo.

By the time Hiccup finally came back, the sun had gone down. The boy tried to sneak in through the back door, but he didn't account for his father and sister sitting at the table waiting for him. After all, they'd both be busy or on their way to sleep at this time.

He tried to sneak up the steps to his room but was stopped quite fast by Stoick, "Son." He called, causing Hiccup to freeze on his way up the stairs. "We need to talk."

"Um, I gotta talk to you too, Dad." The boy replied.

"I decided it's time for you to fight dragons."

"I decided I don't want to fight dragons."

Freya would've laughed if not for the situation. It was just unbelievably awkward.

"Oh, you go first," Stoick said.

"No, no, you go first!" Hiccup quickly said, stepping down the steps, and heading over to the table.

"Alright," Stoick said. "You get yer wish. Dragon training. You start in the morning."

Hiccup wasn't the only one surprised. Freya was caught too off guard, her eyes widening in surpise.

"Oh man, I should have gone first." Hiccup said, coughing into his fist before looking at their father. "Dad, I noticed we have a surplus of dragon-fighting Vikings but do we have enough bread-fighting Vikings or small home repair Vikings.."

"You'll need this," Stoick said, cutting off his son as he placed a large ax in his son's hands, the weight nearly knocking the poor boy over. Stoick grabbed his shoulders to balance him and keep him steady on his feet.

"Dad, I don't want to fight dragons." Hiccup tried to reason.

Stoick laughed. "Of course you do."

"Rephrase, I can't kill a dragon."

"But you will learn too!"

"No, I'm pretty sure I actually won't!" Hiccup said as he raised his voice, groaning with frustration.

"With this ax, you carry us. That means you walk like us." He said as he straightened his son's slouched posture. "You talk like us. You think like us. No more of—this."

"You just gestured to all of me!" Hiccup groaned offended by the gesture.

"Deal?" Stoick asked.

"This conversation is feeling very one-sided."

"Deal?" Stoick asked again, his voice firm, signaling the end of the debate.

Hiccup sighed. "Deal..." He mumbled.

"Good." The Chief smiled, "Train well and study hard. I'll be back—probably." He said as he turned, walking out of the house.

"And I'll be here...maybe." Hiccup sighed.

Freya finally stood up out of her seat, "Hiccup, it'll be fine. After all, I believe in your abilities." She said, taking the ax out of his hands, with no issue, putting it back where their father took it.

Hiccup shook his head as he ran a hand through his head, "No, I— Freya, I— I can't do it. I know I can't." He groaned.

Freya put a hand on her hip, giving him a weird look, "What? But you spent your entire life trying to gain everyone's approval. What made you change your mind?" She asked curiously

Hiccup opened his mouth then closed it looking around the house before letting a sigh out of his mouth, "I saw it- the dragon, I mean— I saw a dragon and couldn't kill it." He groaned in frustration.

Freya thought back to earlier in the day. Despite not being blood-related, they shared more similarities than she realized. The red-haired girl sighed and started biting her lip, a habit of hers when concentrating, "You saw a dragon and let it go free? Why are you telling me? What if I don't believe you or even tell dad?" She asked, sitting back down at the table

"Because I know you. You wouldn't." He confirmed with no hesitation.

Freya smiled at him and shrugged, "Hiccup, you're my big brother. I'll support you no matter what. No matter what happens, you got this. After all, you're a Viking, and you're a Haddock. We are stubborn, but we are smart." Freya laughed as he groaned after hearing her. Freya stood up to hug the shorter boy, "I'm coming to watch tomorrow you guys practice in place of Gothi. If you need help, yell for Gobber or play dead. Besides, there are six other people there. Your odds are better that way." She offered with a teasing smile.

"Thanks, I'm sure that will help. I'll keep that in mind." He said sarcastically, giving her a playful shove before heading upstairs after telling her goodnight. As she watched him disappear, the smile on Freya's face dropped as she started fidgeting with the necklace around her neck. A nagging feeling of things to come engulfed her.