Chapter 10

Taking a deep breath, Freya pulled on a smile as she walked into the village, greeting a few people that passed. She noticed that the village seemed fuller than usual. She recognized some of the soldiers that let on the boats. Freya suddenly pulled to a stop. The boats were back, so that meant—

"Freya!"

The girl quickly spun on her heels, spotting her father making his way toward her. "Dad!" She gasped, surprised to see him. "When did you get back?"

"A couple of hours ago." He answered once he fully reached her. "Where have you been?" He asked, crossing his large arms over his chest as he stared down at her.

Freya blinked owlishly for a moment, trying to think of a quick lie, "Looking for herbs to take care of Wren!" She quickly said, hiding her hands behind her back as she started twiddling her thumbs. The large burly man stared at her, a frown taking place. Freya never usually lied to their father, only because she was bad at it.

"I see." Stoick finally said, giving her an approving nod. "Now, what I wanted to ask is where your brother is."

Freya let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. She was glad her father's attention was no longer on her, but it wasn't much better now that it was on her brother, who was still with the dragons.

"I don't know!" She quickly stuttered. "Perhaps he is with Gobber or out again?" She more or less asked him.

Stoic frowned yet again, "I just came from speaking with Gobber. Alright then, when you see him, tell him I wish to speak with him." He said, taking a deep breath. Freya quickly nodded in response. "Now hurry to the healers. I heard Gothi was looking for you."

Freya wasted no time in running off to do exactly that. She didn't like keeping secrets from her family. Freya was never good at hiding things from people. She could only hope Hiccup would be able to pull off a good enough lie to convince their father.

By the time she was finish working with Gothi, she was exhausted. She worked for hours with her, treating burns and gashes. Gothi sent her away to make a home visit to Wren then go home for the night. Freya had been working all night with Gothi, but she didn't mind too much, despite the stress of tending to multiple people at once. Freya yawned stretching her sore muscles as she made her way through the busy town.

She stumbled up the stairs of Wren's house and knocked on the door. Almost immediately his mother opened up. She was a beautiful strong woman, with long jet-black hair just like her son's hair. Freya gave the woman a tired smile and pointed inside, "Home visit for Wren. I'll be quick because I have to get home soon." The woman nodded and called Wren over to sit down on a chair.

Neither of them spoke while Freya redid his bandages and applied new ointment to his bruising, cuts, and gash. If he noticed how tired she was he didn't mention it. Soon it was time to go, the two exchanged a wave and she went on her way.

Once she got home she slowly walked up the stairs into her bedroom. Freya didn't even bother to close her door as she collapsed on her bed, curling up into a ball. She finally closed her heavy eyes, letting out a sigh as she relaxed into the warm blankets

Not even a few hours later she heard a bellow, "Morning everyone! Come on! It's time for the final dragon training class!" Freya groaned as the sound of her father stomping up the stairs flooded her ears. He came to her door first, since her door was already open, "Freya, don't you want to watch your big brother complete his final class?" He said with a laugh, a large smile overtaking his face.

Freya opened an eye and stared at her father with a deadpan look. She wanted to say no and go back to sleep, but she knew Hiccup would look for her in the crowd and Wren would expect her to be there.

With a tired groan, she pushed herself up into a sitting position "Yeah I do. Go haddock." She mumbled, pumping her fist in the air with little to no energy.

Her father smiled and ruffled her already messy curls, "Good. Get ready while I wake your brother!" He said, giving her a smile, with that, he turned and walked out of the room.

Freya sat there for a moment, half asleep until finally, she coaxed herself up and closed her door to change her clothes. She heard her father waking up Hiccup, earning a loud groan from the boy. She couldn't help the tiny smile that pulled at her mouth. Once she finished, she walked out of her room and down the stairs. Freya heard the stairs creek behind her and turned just in time to see Hiccup trailing after her down the stairs, trying to tame his messy hair. "Morning." He mumbled as he yawned."Sleep well?"

"I barely slept at all. Why is he so preppy this morning." She responded

Hiccup gave her a sympathetic look. "He's heard about my training and was excited. He approached me last night, it was kind of awkward."

Freya laughed and smiled fondly, she was about to speak but was cut off by their father's excited voice, "Alright! Come one you two! It's the time!" He called from the door, his hands on his hips and a big smile on his face. Both siblings sighed, sending each other a smile before following their father out.

The bright sunlight was irritating to both siblings' tired eyes. Freya gave a tired groan as she shielded her eyes, squinting as she followed her brother and father.

Once they reach the arena, Hiccup went off to get ready. Meanwhile Stoick and Freya went and sat beside Gothi, patiently waiting for the beginning of the exam.