Chapter 6

By the time Freya arrived at the class, it was already in session. She had lost track of time after taking a cat nap next to Starfire. Freya came to a stop next to Gobber. "I was busy collecting herbs for Gothi. Did I miss anything? She lied, looking down at her fingers while twiddling her thumbs.

Gobber nodded in response while Freya leaned against the metal cage, watching the teens run around the maze, they were like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to escape the Deadly Nadder. She glanced down at Hiccup, who stood beneath them. Hiccup was asking Gobber questions about a Nightfury. Freya failed to see the relevance it had with dragon training. He might get himself killed with his lack of care for the situation at hand.

"No one has seen one and lived to tell the tale. Now get in there!" Gobber yelled, fed up with Hiccup's questions. 

"Yeah, but hypothetically..." The boy trailed off, getting distracted by Astrid telling him to get down.

Freya watched anxiously as Astrid turned the Nadder's attention away before somersaulting past. Snotlout followed her example, and Hiccup tried at least. That boy was seriously unathletic.

Freya groaned when the Nadder's attention turned towards the boy, baring its spikes as it hissed. The Nadder chased Hiccup before changing courses and pursuing Astrid. Freya bit her lip, her fingers turning white by how hard she was gripping the metal bars of the arena. Astrid took a sharp turn, the Nadder following, but was not quick enough causing it to crash into the maze wall, knocking them over. That caused a domino effect, causing the whole maze to crash down.

"Everyone move!" Freya shouted when one of the walls began to fall dangerously close to the other teens.

Astrid, still trying to escape the Nadder, ran up one of the falling walls before jumping. Unfortunately, though, she landed right on Hiccup, getting them both quite tangled due to her axe getting wedged in his shield.

"Oo, love on the battlefield." Tuffnut snickered.

"She could do better," Ruffnut commented right after.

Astrid shoved Hiccup away before practically ripping his shield off his arm. The Nadder screeched, charging toward the two. Astrid raised her axe, smashing the shield that was stuck on it into the Nadder's head. Wood splinters flew everywhere and the Nadder let out a whimper, lowering its head as it retreated into its cage.

Astrid suddenly turned to Hiccup, her eyes dancing with rage and fear at the extremely close call due to Hiccup's lack of caution, "Is this some kind of a joke to you?!" Astrid snapped, glaring coldly at Hiccup, who was crouched on the ground. "Our parents' war is about to become ours. Figure out what side you're on before you end up dead or worse kill someone else." She said, pointing her axe at him.

While Freya didn't want to admit to Astrid being right she had a point. Hiccup could've gotten them both killed just now. His actions put everyone around him in danger, but no one was hurt at least. Just as that thought crossed her mind Gobber called her name, "Aye lass you might want to get over here, quickly. Wren is down. Take him to Gothi, immediately."

With a final glare, Astrid turned sharply and left the arena, the other teens besides Wren following shortly after. Hiccup watched them leave before looking at Freya and Gobber helping the unconscious Wren out from under one of the fallen pillars. Hiccup stood with a soft sigh, but without another word, he darted out of the arena without another word. Freya frowned but didn't comment.

"My my what are you and Stoick going to do with that boy?"

Freya ignored his comment, and went back to checking over Wren, "He's bleeding." She commented, looking at the gash on his leg. Acting quickly Freya took the ribbon usually keeping her long curls from her face and tied it around the gash to keep pressure on the wound, "Stay awake, Wren. Don't go to sleep, please." She urged gently tapping his cheek, "Gobber help me get him to Gothi, quickly."

The boy only nodded at Freya's words as she and Gobber led him out of the arena and through the village. Gothi was already waiting for them when they got there, Freya assumed one of the other teens told her about Wren. The two healers set to work on patching the black-haired boy. All his injuries were relatively minor, he took a bad hit to the head, and he received a sprained leg, but besides that, he was cleared to go home after Freya cleaned a cut on his forehead.

"Do you think Astrid is right?" Wren suddenly asked, looking up at Freya with his piercing green eyes as she dabbed a cloth over his cut.

Freya face gave away her feelings as she answered him, "What do you mean?" She asked, avoiding eye contact with her friend, she knew well that he was analyzing her.

"About your brother winding up dead. I can tell that you've been thinking about it." He answered bluntly.

Freya winced internally before letting out a quiet sigh. "Is it that obvious that I've been thinking about it? I will never let that happen to Hiccup. Hiccup and Dad are my only family. I rather die before I let something take away my family." She answered him, a soft, but sad smile resting upon her lips. "Dad and Gobber wouldn't let that happen anyway."

Wren's brows furrowed, and he seemed unsatisfied with her answer, "You're so blind and reckless sometimes. You'd jump off a cliff or into a fire to protect your family if you had to."

This time Freya made eye contact with the glaring green-eyed male, "Wouldn't you do that for someone you love?" She asked softly.

Wren broke eye contact and shrugged his shoulders, "That's impulsive and thoughtless. It's a wonder you aren't dead yet. It's probably because I keep saving your butt that you're here right now." Freya knew Wren dodged the question , but didn't bother to press him on it.

"Just say you're worried about me and move on. " She teased plucking the black-haired teen in his forehead after putting a gauze over his cut

Wren rolled his eyes and ignored her teasing, shaking his head, "Whatever. Just think before you act next time. You're my only best friend, I'd hate to have to find another one."

Freya's smile grew brighter, "You're all done here. Gobber says you're out of training for the time being so you'll miss your chance at killing the nightmare, but he said you're free to watch on the sidelines."

Wren groaned and ran his not bandaged hand through his hair, "Well goodbye to that dream. I guess I'll sit and watch with you and Gobber." He said rubbing the back of his neck.

"I'll walk you home, come on. You aren't supposed to be on your feet for long. Besides I haven't seen your mom in a while." Freya said as she packed her things up and handed Wren custom-made wooden crutches. Wren groaned but didn't bother to argue with her as they went on their way to head towards his house.