Boys will Bugs

(Mario) Luigi didn't like me. He hadn't for a couple weeks. Not since, well, that day. I couldn't wrap my head around it, and who could? Bowser was this big, scary monster that kidnapped the princess, and my brother was small and not very brave. I was worried more than anything. What if Bowser hurt him? What would I do then? If I hurt Bowser, Luigi would get more mad at me even if he was hurt by him!

He would only speak to me when necessary, and even then he'd talk to me with gritted teeth. He'd insist that every morning we'd visit Bowser, but I was never aloud to go in with him. I didn't mind, much. Bro was grieving, and though I didn't understand why he loved him, I understood that he needed space.

I stared at the popcorn ceiling. The early morning sun shown in from the window. Guess it was time to wake up.

I took great care sneaking around the couch on my way to the kitchen to not wake Luigi. I grabbed a two slices of bread and popped them in the toaster. The front door creaked open.

"Luigi," I sighed. "It's too early."

He walked over and sat down at the table. He didn't say anything.

"I know you were sneaking out to see him."

He pretended not to hear me. I grabbed butter out of the fridge.

"Do you want toast?"

He paused for a moment before nodding.

I leaned against the counter and sighed again. "Why do you like him?"

He looked away from me. "Why do you care?"

"Because I'm your brother and I want to protect you."

"I don't need your protection."

The toast popped up. I really needed to pick my battles. He glared at me while I brought him the freshly buttered bread.

"You can't be mad at me forever. I didn't know." I said as I passed the plate to him.

We watched each other as we ate, waiting for the other to say something, but not another word would be spoken at that table. He finished before I did and immediately started walking to the door. I grabbed my half finished toast and followed him.

Luigi dragged me into the palace, ignoring all it's grandeur. A surprise to me, Peach was waiting for us. Peach was a dark, round woman of about average height. Her blonde hair were in two messy buns.

"Mario, Luigi! I'm so glad your here."

Luigi looked at his feet.

"Luigi, I can only assume you're here for your partner?"

He nodded.

"You may go see him."

His face lit up as he ran to the dungeons.

"I only really wanted to talk to you, anyway."

"Really? What about?"

She sighed. "I've been thinking about letting Bowser go."

"Wh-WHAT?! You can't just let him go, he, he, he's kidnapped you so many times!"

"Yes, but I believe he's really changed. If your brother can love him--"

"My brother doesn't care about this kingdom. If anything, he'd help Bowser take over!"

"Well, I am the princess, and I say your brother can keep him in line."

"But, but, it's Bowser! It's bad enough my brother fell in love with him, but now you're trying to let him go?"

"He's been completely silent every time I've gone down there, he hasn't once come at me, and he has stayed in the corner like a--!"