Chapter 5: You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch

Marine Corps boot camp is like jumping into a wood chipper.

Except, the wood chipper is on fire.

You are also on fire.

Actually everything is on fire.

Because you're in Hell.

Jon Hawkins would give anything to be back there.

Instead, he was stuck in Fantasia's Super Mall, waiting in line to see Santa, caught between his friend Titania, and his little sister Melody.

Titania was a short-tempered pixie. Melody was a nine-year-old with severe ADHD.

You do the math:

Short temper + ADHD + long line + crowded mall = headache for Jon.

"Melody for the love of god – " Titania snarled. "Stayinline! If you run away one more time, we are leav – "

"You're not my boss!" Melody hung an Andalusia Fashions bag around her neck. "You're Jon's girlfriend!"

Titania flushed but Jon was minty cool.

Technically they were not dating.

Jon had graduated from Marine Corps boot camp the same week Titania completed basic training for the Air Force. Boot camp was a 13-week ordeal, and it was the first time either had been away from home.

Jak had met Titania in the barracks, and he quickly found they had two things in common:

Both were super competitive and hated their parents.

Titania's parents were recently divorced. Her mother, Tinkerbell, was a talk-show host, and took every opportunity to publicly neuter her husband.

Titania had enlisted in the military seeking sanctuary, but she was targeted once everyone discovered Tinkerbell was her mother.

Tinkerbell was a bad, bad pixie. Years prior, King Arthur had condemned her for harboring evil alliances during the Battle to Give Fantasia. Essentially, she was a traitor, and that was a big no-no in the military.

Titania was declared guilty by association and persecuted by her peers. 

Until she met Jon.

Jon beat the snot out of anyone who harassed her.

Not a natural Fantasian citizen, Jon had been born in outer-space, the son of Ariel Triton and Jim Hawkins, two powerful Fantasian beings. He'd been raised alongside a girl named Gwendolyn and her magical parents, Wendy Darling and Peter Pan.

Jon had vivid memories of his upbringing. He remembered his home was a flying ship called The Second Star. He remembered his godfather was a cyborg named Long John Silver. He also randomly remembered Gwendolyn's full name, which her mother would use when scolding: "Gwendolyn Mary Moria Pan!"

He also remembered being kidnapped.

It happened three years ago. Undead creatures had hidden under his bed, and bound him in his bedsheets. They did the same to Gwendolyn and Melody.  Wendy had come to their rescue, but she was captured and beaten.

Jon had tried to save them, but the kidnappers were too powerful. For the first time in his life, Jon feared he would die...and others would die because he wasn't strong enough.

As all children do, Jon wished for a hero.

Miraculously, his prayers were heard! His father came! His father was a ninja – a warrior—a transformer – the incredible Hulk! He carried the children through the gunfire, out of danger –