30 | dont give up

no pov -

it's been 7 days since leilani slipped into a coma.

everyone has been coming to see her and check on her, leaving gifts and their thoughts and prayers.

billie has not left her side though. not once. she has slept in the chair next to lani since she arrived to the hospital.

the staff would bring billie food from the cafeteria because they felt so bad.

after 2 days, margie came back and politely forced billie to take a shower in the hospital's bathroom, saying that'd she'd sit next to lani while she showered. because of course billie did not want leilani to be alone at any time.

"billie," margie sighed as she walked in the room. "cmon you gotta at least shower."

"marg-"

"billie," she said sterner. "have you even eaten anything?"

"yes, the staff has been bringing me their nasty ass food," billie rolled her eyes. "they're sweet though."

"okay well please go shower or something. i'll sit by lani," marg insisted.

billie sighed. "okay," she got up and went into the bathroom.

she showered and then came back out.

margie was rubbing her thumb on leilani's forehead with her lip poked out.

"marg?" billie said sadly as she watched.

margie just looked at billie and then back at leilani. the look she gave billie spoke for itself.

billie teared up. "do you think-"

"i don't know," margie cut her off. "i don't know. what i do know is that you should get some fresh air. how bout we take a walk?"

billie agreed to walk so the two went outside and walked down the street.

"are you hopeful?" billie looked at margie, but margie shook her head no without saying anything.

"not to be pessimistic but," she shrugged. "i think it's best for me to not get my hopes up."

billie nodded in agreement. "if that was her last time conscious, i'm glad that we did something sweet right before. the picnic was so cute."

"me too," margie nodded. "i'm glad y'all got to have that time."

"margie i really hope that wasn't our last time together," billie started crying.

"me neither billie," margie hugged her. "me neither."

"i don't want her to go," billie sobbed into her arms. "i don't know what to do without her."

"we're gonna get through this b," margie cried too as she squeezed her in the hug. "i promise."

"i'm not leaving until she wakes up," billie said as the hug broke.

margie sighed and nodded as she knew billie was serious. probably more serious than she's ever been in her life.

margie had went back to their (leilani and billie's) house and packed an overnight bag for billie since she knew she wasn't leaving anytime soon.

she packed clothes, toiletries, snacks, books, etc.

"thanks marg," billie hugged her as she took the large duffel bag from her.

"your welcome billie," margie grinned.

marg was hopeless, as was the rest of leilani's loved ones. they didn't wanna be but based on her family's genetic medical history, it was all lining up to be the same.