32. Clarity

Lisa

Darkness.

It's almost funny how life plays out. My mother always said that our choices and decisions were the compass to our future. 'Choose wisely', she would always say, 'otherwise, the darkness will consume you. And once it enters your life, there's no turning back.'

"I'm losing blood Lydia. What exactly is your plan? To let me bleed out to death?".

"Shut up", she screamed. Almost like a mother to a child. "Just shut up and let me think".

I had been laying on the kitchen floor for almost an hour, clutching my abdomen. I wasn't sure exactly where the bullet had hit, but I knew that I didn't have much time.

"This was not the plan", Lydia muttered to herself. I wasn't sure if she was trying to convince me or herself.

"Why don't you just kill me and get it over with?", I stated.

It wasn't a bluff or some silly stunt. I was tired. Tired of people letting me down. And truth be told, I wasn't scared of death anymore. The idea almost seemed enticing. Anything would be better then living through this nightmare.

"No", she yelled once more. "I'm not a killer. This wasn't suppost to happen this way".

I laughed and immediately regretted it as I felt the pain in my abdomen. "What was the plan then? Plant a bomb in my car? Poison me? Oh wait, that's right ... you're not a killer. You'd have to pay someone to do your dirty work", I spat out.

"I didn't tell him to rape you", she said whilst hitting her forehead. "He was just supposed to rattle you up, that's all".

"Yeah, you can always count on a homeless stranger to do the right thing", I scoffed.

She ignored my comment and continued pacing around.

"Does Tom even know? About all this? Or am I the only one getting blamed for something which was beyond my control".

"Beyond your control!", she laughed sarcastically. "Oh come on Lisa. You may have fooled everyone with your little church girl crap. But I knew the real you. You loved a flirt and the attention."

"The only attention that I ever got in high school was from Ben."

"Liar!"

"You know thi-

"Just shut the f*ck up ok", she said whilst cutting me off. "Or I'll make you shut up".

____________________________________
Ben

"Any news on Raoul?", officer Rogers said.

"No", Clark sighed.

"Well keep trying. We need to know where he dropped Lisa last".

Rogers paced by the dining table, making his presence aware. "In the meantime, the station are trying to locate and contact her parents. Would've helped if one of you had their contact".

He glanced at Torvi and me, who were sitting at each end of the table.

"I don't understand, why would she come here in the first place?".

My question was directed to Torvi. But I knew I wouldn't get an answer from her.

"Does it matter?", Clark answered clearly irritated at the situation.

"Am I the only one who finds it extremely suspicious that Lisa vanishes after visiting her sister whom may I add, hasn't seen in years?", I questioned.

"Are you implying that I have something to do with this? That'd I'd hurt my sister?".