33. The End: Part 1

Lisa

I was going to die. There were no other options. No one knew I was here. And even if they did, would they ever suspect that my own best friend was capable of doing such a thing?

I felt myself drifting into darkness. I knew the end was here.

I couldn't help but think that all the suffering that came with my divorce was all for nothing.

Was there a means to an end?

"I'm going to die Lydia", I struggled to say. "May as well lay everything on the table".

I looked at my best friend. Her rosey cheeks had gone pale. She was sitting on the ground opposite me looking worse for wear.

"There's nothing left to say", she said blankly. Lydia had accepted my fate. And maybe even hers.

"I disagree. You've had your chance to say whatever you wanted, now its my turn".

I turned to face her whilst clutching my abdomen in pain.

"When I lost Torvi", I began. "I thought I had lost everything. She was the only family I had left".

I took a small pause and gathered my breath. Each word cause a sharp pain in my core. But I was used to the pain.

"But I knew I'd be ok, cause no matter what, I had you".

I saw Lydia shift uncomfortably in her spot. But she made no effort to stop me.

"You were like a sister to me", I sobbed. "I didn't think you'd betray me too".

"Betray you!", she growled. "I was nothing but loyal to you and you know it."

I stopped and sobbed once more. It was too late, my Lydia was gone.

"It was you that couldn't let me have my own fairytale".

"Maybe you should think about how your actions brought you here Lisa", she continued.

"Maybe you're not as innocent as you think".

"Maybe oh, just maybe you're the slut who couldn't even keep her own man".

Silence

"Lisa?", she called.

"Lisa?", she called again at a higher pitch. But I was no longer in her world. I let the darkness take over
and take me away from reality.

____________________________________
Ben

"I don't understand", I started. "If she was at Lydia's house this whole time, why wouldn't she give us a call? Let us know she was safe?"

"Well, we don't know for certain and that was her last location", said officer Rogers. "It was the last place Raoul took her, but maybe she got an uber after".

"Lydia isn't answering any of my calls. Something's not right", I continued.

"Have you tried calling her husband? Tom was it?", said Clark.

"I texted him before we left, he didn't know anything. Besides he's moved out. He probably would't know anything anyway".

Clark scoffed and looked out of the window.
"Can this car go any slower", he questioned.

"Yeah can't we turn on the siren? It will get us there much faster", I agreed.

"That would only get us more attention. If Lydia is indeed in trouble, then we have to play this safely".

"What about that homeless guy, the one who attacked Lisa a few months ago, why aren't we tracking him?". I paused feeling helpless. "He's the only person I can think of that would want to hurt Lisa".

"Good point", said Clark.

"Well, it's nice to see you two agreeing on something", said officer Rogers with a sarcastic tone.

"Mr Barns, or if you prefer saying 'the homeless guy', was never granted bail. So unless he's got supernatural powers that get him in and out of jail, its not him".

We continued to drive in silence . We were about 20 miles from Lydia's when a radio call came in.

"Officer PB12406 do you copy?".

"Copy that", said Rogers.

"We got a 911 call from your vicinity that may be connected to the case".

I could see Clark adjusting himself upwards, ears wide open. As were mine.

"What was the call about"?, asked the officer.

"An injured woman, late twenties who was apparently shot. I'll send you the address. Ambulance and community officials are already on their way".

Shot? "Di-did she say shot?", I questioned.

"Hey, we don't know if its Lisa", said Clark a little too soon.

"Alright, we'll go check it out", said Rogers. "It's about 15 miles ahead".

"What's the address?", I asked.

"29 Oakland Avenue".

And that's when my world stopped and all the hope I had was lost. I took a moment to bring myself to say the words.

"That's Lydia's house".