13. Who to trust

Lisa

Not even my lucid dreams could have prepared me for this nightmare. Only this time, this wasn't a dream.

"A homicide", I began whilst running both hands through my hair. "Is this some kind of sick joke?". It must be.

"I'm afraid not", said officer Rogers. "We looked back at the security cameras, your attacker was seen being dropped off in front of the clinic. Although we couldn't identify the registration number, we're sure it was black SUV, a BMW x5 to be more specific".

"You see, what homeless man owns or has friends who own such a luxurious car", began officer Dave. "We've also checked the neighborhood, nobody has seen this man nor have they had any occurrences in the past years of homeless people".

'Miss Dunn, you work in a well off part in the city, homeless individuals are uncommon", continued officer Dave.

This was all too much. The two men in front of me, Ben, it was all a mess. A mess which left no trails behind.

"What exactly are you implying?", I asked with a weary voice.

Both officers glanced at each other. "Is there anyone who might want to hurt you in any way ?", asked officer Dave.

I glanced at Ben, who looked even more confused than me, which was practically impossible.

I let an uneasy chuckle. "I'm a doctor, not some kind of underground drug dealer".

"Miss Dunn, we're taking this investigation very seriously. We would appreciate it if you would comply and answer our questions".

I stared blankly at the two men in front of me. I couldn't even bring myself to imagine who could be behind all of this.

"There's no one that I could think of ", I said.

"No recent altercations with friends, family or even strangers?", said officer Rogers.

"I can count my friends on one hand, haven't spoken to my family for over five years, and I don't speak to strangers". I tried not to sound too grim on the mention of my family. It was a topic I didn't want resurfaced.

"The court won't let us conduct a 24 hour supervision, unless we have proof that someone may be threatening you."

"So what does that mean exactly?", said Ben. It was the first time I heard his voice during this conversation. I suppose it was because just like me, he didn't know what to say.

"It means that although the investigation is open and ongoing,  there isn't enough evidence to go on by", began officer Rogers. "It means that you have to think a litter harder and make a list of potential suspects. Also, it would be best if you avoid going to places alone".

It's funny how life plays out. Just when you think things couldn't possibly get any worse, there's always that element of surprise, waiting for you at the end of a tunnel ... a dark and incessant tunnel. Millions of thoughts started crawling to my mind, a heavy migraine was about to commence. I could feel myself drifting away from the conversation and before I knew it, both officers had said their goodbyes, and made their way out.

I could feel a set of eyes watching over me. I didn't need to look up to know they were Ben's.

"You ok?", he began.

"I need to lie down for a minute", I said ignoring his question. With that, I made my way upstairs, in hopes to fall asleep and wake up to all this just being a horrific nightmare.