Chapter Three

"It doesn't matter that he's gone, you're still part of the family."

It had been two weeks since the funeral and Willow was trying desperately to stay afloat

It had been two weeks since the funeral and Willow was trying desperately to stay afloat. She didn't know how she was expected to just go back to her life, now that half of her life was gone, and the other half burned to the ground.

So, she did what she's done since she was a kid, pretended everything was fine and normal and throwing herself into her school work and job.

She worked at the local library, and although she's always been a good worker, she's doesn't think she's ever been this diligent before.

Other than going to work or class, doing so much at both that her body and no choice but to sleep the moment her head hit the pillow at night, she didn't do anything else.

She had gotten a few calls and texts from Gemma, but the young girl didn't want to be around anyone, didn't want to be reminded, so she didn't respond outside of two word responses of 'I'm fine', just so the older women knew she was still alive.

She should have known that wouldn't last long.

As she's putting some books back on one of the shelves near the end of the day, in her own head and unaware of anything else, she's startled by the gruff voice that makes itself known beside her, "There you are sunshine."

Willow yelps in fright, dropping the books in her hands to the ground as she turns to the disturbance, "Happy!"

The older mans lips twitch just enough for her to know he found amusement in her surprise. Out of all the members, Willow felt the safest around Happy and Chibs, always making extra sweets or lunches to send with Nathan for those men. Despite the hard exteriors both men carried, and sometimes scary stories she would pretend not to listen to, they were good men. They were the first two members of the club to greet her with kindness and she never forgot that. In return, both those men felt a certain protection over the girl, one that only heightened with the passing of her husband and their brother.

"I'm here to bring ya to Gems for dinner."

Willow sighs, "Im tired. I told her I wasn't going to be able to make it."

Happy shrugs, "Wasn't an option, kiddo. She told me to not come unless I got ya so, let's go. Im starving."

He watches as she huffs, closing up the library and grabbing her bag, throwing it over her shoulders. She follows him as he walks her to her car, her arms crossed and a frown on her face the whole time.

Being around a rowdy group of people, is not how she wants to spend her night. She just wants to wallow in her pity and sleep until she has to get up in the morning.