11. Game of First Impressions

The players found themselves in a big classroom, where everything seemed perfectly normal. Each of them sat by the table, with their gifts lying in front of them. At the beginning of the classroom hung a green blackboard with a few sentences written in chalk.

Dear players,

Welcome to the first level.

The aim of this level is to gather SIX gems, each that can be found in a different location. As long as you obey the rules of each room, you will get out unharmed.

Once you put all six gems in the exit door, you will be able to enter the second level.

You will find help in the room of all answers.

Percy touched her chest and slowly looked down, noticing she had brand new clothes on herself. Something that could be definitely more appropriate for the game, which consisted of a dark, tight-fitting blouse and comfortable, elastic pants. They all had the same matching outfits, plus black shoes that were good for running. Percy thought that the appearance change was the most useful for Angelica, as she couldn't imagine playing the life and death game in high heels. She believed in women's talents and running in heels, but it would be a necessary and not comfortable choice.

"That's the beginning?" asked Angelica. "Waking up in some shitty classroom? Where are we even?"

Mark adjusted the glasses he was wearing and shyly replied, "you kind of answered your question. We're in the classroom."

Millie chuckled, not able to stop herself, which made Angelica glare at her unpleasantly.

"It's not what I meant," she hissed.

Kyle was the closest one to the door, so without hesitation, he got up and checked what's on the other side. Staying in the classroom felt safe, but Percy also was curious about this place.

"Long ugly corridor. Lockers, a few of them opened and filled with books. Stupid posters, like Go, Tigers. Some other doors," numerated Kyle. "Sweet new colleagues, it seems we're back in high school." He closed the door and looked back at the other players, who remained silent.

"Wait, you want to tell me that from all the crazy stuff Death could prepare for us, it chose high school?" asked Trevor, who was clearly expecting something more sophisticated.

"See, that's the real hell," explained Millie, making Mark laugh at her words. He must've known something about it.

"Yeah, I mean, did anybody really want to come back to high school? That's the worst time of every human's life," added Veronica, who was staring at Kyle as if she wanted to let him know that it's because of him and his buddy that she lost so many years in high school in the worst relationship.

"Oh, I had a great time in high school," countered Kyle, also looking at Veronica. "Think about all those kids I could bully. With my best friend of course, that was unfortunately your boyfriend. Good it ended up the way it did."

"Alright, calling out to our current problems." Percy stopped their quarrel, since it couldn't bring anything good to the group. "We have six gems that need to be found, somewhere in this school. And for now, I vote we should all stick up together."

Mint, who was sitting alone at the back of the class, started laughing bitterly, but she didn't say a word. Percy frowned, not sure what her problem was.

"I second that idea," agreed Millie.

"Well, then I do too." Kyle blinked at her.

"Sure, it's better to know what we're up against." Mark nodded his head.