13. Game of Understatements

With each wall of useless books they passed, the silence became unbearable. Unable to hold his gaze on her back, Veronica abruptly stopped and turned to Kyle with fire in her eyes.

"Can you stop staring?"

Kyle shrugged with his stupid smirk on the face. She knew that one too well. The smirk that pointed out he doesn't care about anything.

"No."

At the beginning she was surprised, seeing him as one of the players in this useless game. She was even happy with their meeting, but then all her emotions turned into only two. Hatred and anger. Kyle was just the same man as he was in the past. He didn't change even a bit. She couldn't forgive him what he did, but seeing he stayed just the same, was making her even more furious.

"I see there's clearly something you want to talk about with me."

Veronica knew exactly what he wanted to ask about, she only didn't know why he was delaying asking this question. The moment she saw him, Veronica became sure that everything would soon go to hell because of him.

"So, you and Millie are now like best friends?"

There it was. Given what they were involved in, this question must have been asked. Not to mention his obsession with Millie. It may have decreased since the camp, but it never completely disappeared

"Yes. Got a problem?"

"But you didn't tell her you know. You didn't mention anything at all. She was quite surprised, and believe me, so was I. Isn't it against some girlish code? Keeping secrets from besties?"

Veronica bit her lips. She shouldn't be in this game at all. If they wouldn't take her to the car, she'd be still breathing. Whatever, she didn't care about being left alone at the party. Everything would be better than this little hell she was now stuck in.

"She knows now."

Kyle reached out and rested his hands against the books, blocking Veronica's passage.

"Quit the show. There's only the two of us in this book maze. Why are you friends with Millie?"

Veronica folded her hands under her breasts.

"Why do you care who I am friends with?"

Kyle gave her the look as if he was asking, Seriously?

After all, this was a matter that was very much concerning him.

"Well, Millie is a far better person than you, and after our intimate history, I feel like I should protect her," stated Kyle, making Veronica wonder if he was joking or not. Nevertheless, it was far more than creepy. Millie hated Kyle. She wanted nothing to do with him, while he didn't care about her feelings. He was always taking what he wanted. "Do you think Millie still would want to be your friend after she'd learn the truth about your ex-boyfriend and the things that you've done?"

Veronica raised her chin.

"What, you will tell her? Yes, let me imagine the two of you talking. Oh wait, that's quite impossible with Trevor on her right side, and Percy on the other one."

Kyle laughed at her words. Trevor was nothing compared to him. The blonde guy, who could be on a magazine cover, wouldn't stand a chance. One blow. Kyle was sure that one would be enough to knock Trevor out. A girl like Millie could've had anybody in the world and she chose a boy, not even a man.

"You can try to convince me not to say."

Veronica raised her eyebrows up. Kyle was the type of guy who loved bullying others, loved lying and loved all kinds of extreme things. That's why he wasn't even frightened of being in The Game. Maybe it was even fun for him. Veronica already knew that whatever she would say, Kyle would make his own, most comfortable choice.

"Screw you. Tell her whatever you want. Millie is my friend. She'll understand and forgive me."

Kyle leaned against one of the bookshelves. They didn't like it, because a low growling started behind his back, making Kyle step away at once.

"Even books don't like you," commented Veronica. She flipped her dark braids and checked the titles. There was nothing interesting in here, and she was tired of walking in circles. What were they even looking for? There was literally nothing else than books. Everything consisted of them. She wondered how fast this place would burn up, if someone set a fire.

"I see you know Millie very well to make such assumptions, but I think differently. And so does your ex-boyfriend," he chuckled, as if it was something funny. "Millie hates me, because I'm a psycho, I am and I love it, but man, doesn't she realize what kind of messed up girl you are."

Veronica couldn't take it anymore. She tried to be careful in words, but now everything started to fall apart. She shouldn't be in this place. And why did Kyle have to be here? She was losing her mind, because of him.

Veronica wanted to play tough, but she knew that both Millie and Percy would leave her when they found out the truth.

And they won't be wrong about doing so.

"He deserved it!" she yelled. "Everything that happened, they both deserved it!"

Kyle looked behind to check if they were still alone.

"You're just as sick now as you were then, Nica," he stated. "I can only imagine what a psycho reason you came up with in your little head, and I will not take a part in your little game of lies, especially not considering the situation we're all in."

"At least I'm not as stupid to drink a cocktail with something I'm allergic to. That could be called one of the dumbest deaths." It was partly the reason why she got so drunk at the party. She was feeling sad and guilty, because after all, they've known each other for years. Getting drunk was stupid though, and it costed Veronica her life.

"What?" Kyle frowned, realizing something that was hidden in Veronica's words. But... could it be?

"I can read. You think I don't know how you died? It was on the news. I was even feeling sorry. Not anymore."

Kyle could barely hear her words because he got interested in something slightly different. Veronica knew how he died, but how her entire group of friends landed in that game? Neither of them was talking about their death, and he got more than curious about it. He knew that Veronica wouldn't tell him anything though.

"I, on the other hand, don't mind you being dead. Maybe it'd be better if it stayed that way."

Veronica clenched her fists. She didn't think about the consequences of her action, when she took a book and tried to strike a blow to Kyle's head. He had enough reflexes to grab her wrist before the book reached him.

"Sorry, book," he apologized, taking it from Veronica's hand and putting it back where it belonged. The book instantly got sucked into whatever was inside of those book walls. "Don't try it ever again. You don't want to become my foe, or you won't leave this game."

Veronica pulled her hand out of his grip, which hurt her, because of the strength he was holding her with.

"I can't become something I already am."

She grabbed the rope, making sure it was still holding her well.

"I guess it's my time to take revenge. When I'll end with you, there will be no one left by your side anymore."

Veronica pretended not to care at all. If she had to, she would find a way to get rid of Kyle. She was able to do it. She was able to get rid of everyone who stood in the way of her happiness and peace. She already proved it.

"Game on, Kyle." Veronica sent him a kiss and walked away in the direction of the starting point, so she could finally leave this irritating book maze.