41. Game of Trust

"What do you not remember?"

Percy's heart went up to her throat in horror as she frantically tried to find the answer to this question. How could she answer this question? The point was that she didn't remember. After all, even if she remembered anything it would no longer apply to the question, or would it still apply?

It didn't matter anyway, because there was a void in her head.

"What do you not remember?"

She tried to recall all the voices and scenes she saw before her eyes, but they kept piecing together an incoherent whole that she still couldn't unravel. Moreover, there was something going on all the time that made it impossible for her to focus on the missing memories. Her main focus was going to the game.

"What do you not remember?"

With panic in her eyes, Percy looked at the other players who were awaiting the answer. She had the feeling that it was taking her longer to figure out what to say than it had taken anyone before. On top of that, her anxiety was telling her that the guards were about to come after her and finish Angelica's work.

She had to say something.

Percy tried to calm down and think logically about the question.

"What do you not remember?"

In her mind there was only one single answer to this question. She decided to bet on her luck and whispered, "I don't remember."

Nothing happened. No one approached Percy to punish her for lying - especially since it wasn't a lie. Only the other players looked at her strangely, wondering - as she did - what was going on.

Percy slowly reached for another piece of paper. The one with dare. She was relieved to realize that it was waiting there for her.

"Remember. Not now. Take your time. Before the game ends," she read aloud, wondering what this was about.

Did the game wanted her to remember the past?

Then why her memories were wiped out in the first place?

Nothing made sense.

Or maybe, nothing made sense yet.

There were only two people left, who didn't play the Truth and Dare yet. Ryder and Millie. Neither of them was scared during the choosing. Millie wanted to have it done finally, but the next player chosen was Ryder. She was about to be the last one.

He took his card with truth. "Who do you trust the most in this room?"

Percy thought this was quite an ironic question in terms of the fact that Ryder didn't trust anyone and admitted this himself at the beginning of the game. He was not a proponent of team problem-solving to win the game, and not just one-on-one, because as he claimed - anyone can betray anyone, especially if they feel threatened. Percy, on the other hand, believed in the team game, especially since everyone had one goal. To survive. To return to the real world. To win. Since the winner could be more than one person, why narrow it down?

Although Percy had expected Ryder to respond in a straightforward way that he didn't trust anyone, his answer quite surprised her.

"Percy."

"Me?" She opened her eyes wider looking at him in amazement. "Why?"

"Without just a little bit of trust, we all might just as well give up now." He quoted the words she had spoken during one of their first conversations. After waking up in a high school classroom as they walked down the hallway to the library.