18. Game of Red

When a brave little moment passed away, Percy came to her senses and understood that she might not get in time to the door after stealing the necklace. All around there were spectacle participants who would surely try to catch her. And what about her friends? Millie and Trevor didn't even know what she was about to do. The idea seemed easy to conduct at first, but with every step there were more doubts in Percy's mind. Just as she was about to reach the pedestal, where the figures on the thrones were sitting, she stopped, changing her mind.

Taking a necklace was easy. Maybe even getting away would be possible. But what about others? They walked to this place together and they should leave it together. It was not a normal spectacle. It was Death's Game. Getting a gem shouldn't be so easy. Understanding that, there were thousands of possible scenarios of what would have happened if she just took it.

Nevertheless, Percy had no other idea how to get that. Not for now, at least. She thought that a little group brainstorming could help. The original plan wouldn't be that bad if everyone was included and aware of what might happen.

She turned around, noticing Millie and Trevor on the second floor. They were looking at her and shouting something she couldn't hear because of the distance and music. For Percy it seemed they were just trying to stop her from coming to the figures on the throne, but they didn't need to worry about it anymore. She raised her thumb up and then waved at them to come down, but Millie was still shouting something and nervously showing her to get away.

What was it she was trying to say?

BE YOU?

The music came to an end and there was a very short pause before musicians started plying another beautiful ballad. But that little pause was just enough.

BE-HIND-YOU.

Percy frowned and turned around just as two guards walked over to her and took her by arm from both sides.

"No, wait, what are you doing? Let go of me! Let go!"

The guards didn't react to her words, didn't even slow down, while dragging her before the queen and king of this spectacle. Was it because she came too close? Why would they do that? Drag her here? The fear was rising in Percy's body, but she tried to play it cool. She straightened up when guards finally let go of her arms but didn't find enough courage to look the figures in the eyes. She gazed at the red cloak that seemed to be created from the finest of materials.

All that red is deceptive, she remembered.

Neither the queen nor the king had spoken for a moment that for Percy felt like infinity. When she finally heard the woman's voice, goosebumps came across her whole body. The voice was so familiar to her, but at the same time it was distorted, clearly unnatural. Whatever this was in front of her was no human.

"Aren't you going to look at me, girl? Didn't you just think about taking my possession?"

How does she know about it?

Percy slowly raised her head and looked at the cloaked figure, nevertheless she could not see her face as it was whole covered. It seemed the figure saw her tho.

"Aren't you going to ask me the question that is of your interest?"

Percy swallowed, not sure what to expect. Was she in danger? Definitely. But what kind of danger? Those were paranormal entities. Or maybe something that didn't quite exist but was created from the depths of Hell.

"How do you know all of that?"

"That is not the question you wish to ask."

Percy was starting to think that whatever this was, it could read her mind. She didn't feel safe with her own thoughts now.