54. Game of Betrayal

Blake sighed in exasperation when he realized that he had been assigned the role of hostage at this level. He had a feeling that this was some kind of punishment for killing Veronica and telling everyone that they had been attacked and he had failed to save her. Being a hostage meant that he had no weapons, except his knife, which he saw lying on the desk a piece away. Moreover, he was not at all so sure that anyone would come to rescue him. He had no idea who was among the rescuers or who the other hostages were. All he knew was that he unfortunately had Mint as his companion, whom he practically did not know, but more than anything, did not trust. He felt threatened in her company.

Besides, she was hardly talkative. It seemed to him that he had never even exchanged a word with her. He didn't think there was any cooperation awaiting them at this level, other than to sit tediously and wait for someone to rescue them.

He was even more surprised when Mint spoke to him.

"You know that the fact that we're here together is no accident?"

He looked at her, taking a close look at her for the first time. She was completely different from any girl he had seen. A little, as if she wanted to stand out, and that's why she had green hair, and that green and black image of hers. Black lips, strong makeup, green modest jewelry. She looked as if she wanted to stand out from everyone else, and at the same time, if given natural hair color, more modest makeup, and ordinary jeans, it was obvious that Mint would not stand out from the other girls in any way.

"It's not a coincidence?" he repeated, somewhat bored with her theories.

"No. I wanted to get here with you," she announced, making him wonder if Mint had a crush on him.

"Right. Look, I don't know if you know, but I have a rather complicated life, and to tell you the truth, I'm not looking for..."

"Don't say anything else. And don't imagine too much," she interrupted him with visible disgust on her face, making Blake realize that she didn't have a crush on him at all. "I wanted to end up here with you because we share a common goal."

At these words, Mint tore her hands off the chair, and the knots snapped, as if they weren't so strong after all. While Mint easily freed her ankles as well, Blake unsuccessfully tried to free himself the same way she did.

"How did you do that?" He couldn't hide his surprise. Once again, he tried to repeat Mint's trick, but his knots wouldn't give way, no matter how much strength he put into trying to get out.

"Maybe I'm stronger." Mint walked over to one of the desks and squatted down in a black, comfortable chair, where she sat across from Blake.

"Aren't you going to set me free?" he quipped, thinking she would help him.

Mint shook her head.

"We'll talk first."

Blake snorted in disbelief. "Really?" They were trapped in a room that was probably guarded and they didn't even have any weapons, and someone from the enemy could walk in here at any time, and she wanted to talk?

The conclusion was simple. Mint was crazy. She had lost her mind.

"Really," she replied unemotionally. "Are you afraid?"

"There's something wrong with you."

"Many things," she admitted. "Starting with the fact that I'm not human."

Blake blinked, wondering if Mint had been confined to a mental hospital. Maybe she died there, and ended up in this game with them? Then, she was probably capable of anything. Blake believed that crazy people could not be trusted.