49. Game of Kidnap

Percy slowly opened her eyes, waking up from the darkness that had flooded her after she and Millie walked through the door. She expected that - since they had managed to beat the third level, they would end up in the room where all the other players were waiting for them. Nevertheless, the room she woke up in was nothing like the room they had seen in the projection.

Her head was still throbbing as an additional wave of panic flooded her, as she realized that she was tied by her ankles and wrists to a chair. Scared, she tried to get out, but the bonds were too strong for her to do anything.

"I see you're already awake."

She turned her head to the side, noticing Ryder, who was also tied to the chair, about a meter away from her.

"What's going on?"

There was no one else in the room but the two of them.

So where were the other players? Where was Millie? And Trevor? And Blake?

"Welcome to the next level, Percy. You missed a warm welcome. It's been about fifteen minutes since we got here, when you were unconscious," he explained.

She guessed that the slowly filling holes in her memory and the terrible headache were the reasons for her unconsciousness.

"What exactly did I miss? Where are we?"

She glanced around the room, which looked like a staff office. It had a plain gray carpet, soiled with coffee stains in several places. A few desks, by which office chairs stood, and cabinets with books. Other than that, everything was totally tidy. Nothing was lying on the desks, as if all the employees had gone home for the weekend and left in impeccable order.

"We're hostages," said Ryder.

"Hostages?" She tried one more time to free herself, but the bonds were too strong.

"At this level we are divided into three groups. Two groups contain two hostages each. The third group is tasked with freeing us before time runs out."

Percy glanced at the giant clock that hung above the door. It was counting down the time. An hour and forty-three minutes remained on it, which corresponded with the fact that they were starting at two hours.

"It's not clear who the second group of hostages is?"

Ryder shook his head, though he knew.

"So our job is to wait for someone to free us?"

What if the rescue groups included Mint and Veronica? Neither of them cared to rescue Percy. In that case, she would be on her own.

"What if they don't manage to rescue us within two hours?"

"Then they will kill us."

Percy furrowed her brow. No one else was here.

"Who's going to kill us?"

Ryder pointed to the door with his chin.

"The guards who are standing there watching over us."

Percy's jaw dropped.

"You mean the search party is supposed to not only free us, but also defeat the guards?"

That didn't sound very optimistic. Percy had no idea how big the building was. What if it was some kind of gigantic labor complex and just finding them would be one hell of a task?

"Let's hope it's a good group to rescue us," she said. There was something beckoningly humorous in Ryder's tone, but Percy was in no mood for jokes.

"There must be a way for us to free ourselves." Once again she tried to pull the bonds, but again nothing came of it.