04. fall

An annoying chime buzzing in my ear woke me up from deep sleep but I swiped my index finger across my phone in reflex and made it stop

An annoying chime buzzing in my ear woke me up from deep sleep but I swiped my index finger across my phone in reflex and made it stop. After that constant beeping noise in my head, what was bugging me now? Could I not have one moment of peace?

I opened my eyes, blinking at the unexpected light, to find the deadline sound gone. Before I could breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy the silence in my mind now, the phone buzzed again. Groaning in pain, I rubbed my heavy eyelids and pulled out my phone from the pocket. The way it vibrated infuriatingly made me want to throw it into the sea like the ring I-

Wait- Where was I?

Did I actually fall asleep right here?

Without a second thought, I picked up the phone and spoke into it, my voice still hoarse and dry from the sleep. "Hello?" I quickly ran my fingers through my hair as I tried to recollect why and how I had woken up in front of the sea and why no one had tried to find me yet — not that anyone would care if I'd go missing randomly.

"Hello? Seriously?! Where the hell are you, D? I have been waiting for you for so long and you aren't even here to pick me up yet." The voice kept ranting without a pause. "Do you freaking realise how late I'm going to be because of you today? You were supposed to wake me up, you idiot. What the hell do you think-"

The rest of her voice drowned down into the static and I couldn't stop grinning. I wasn't fully sure why or how my mouth was twitching into a smile after what just happened or where I woke up but I guess the action was quite involuntary. Because how could I not smile after hearing the sweet voice of the caller?

"D? What?! You're going to ignore me now, huh?"

I didn't know what to say. Worried that if I replied, the voice would fade away into nothingness again, I kept quiet and pressed the phone closer to my ear to listen.

Closing my eyes, I tried to picture her angry face. The way she always pursed her lips when she was angry, the way she would have a hand on her hip right now as she held her phone with another, the way she would burst into tears anytime now due to the frustration. Wait, no. Hell no, I was not going to let her cry again. Ever.

"Diego?" She whispered, her voice unsure this time. "Can you hear me? I'm talking to you. Why the hell did you not call me to wake me up? You know how important today is-" I heard a loud, shaky exhale on the other side. "-unless- Did you forget? Or- or are you with someone-"

I couldn't fathom what to say.

"I'm sorry. Maybe I should call you later-" Her voice trailed off.

"Keep talking, sweetheart." I smiled but my eyes told a completely different story as they started tearing up again. After the overwhelming turn of events, I was certain I was losing my mind. This was enough proof.

"You think this is a fucking joke?" She screamed into the phone this time and I could picture the way her nose would have turned red by now. "Come pick me up right now. I am getting nervous. An- And I need you here." If I closed my eyes, I could literally picture her shaking her leg anxiously right now, seated on the bench where she usually waited for me.