13. belonged

Lyra stayed still at first, unable to react but when my lips brushed against hers, she gave in and closed her eyes

Lyra stayed still at first, unable to react but when my lips brushed against hers, she gave in and closed her eyes. Not being able to mask her emotions anymore, her fingers grazed the back of my neck and she kissed me back, though hesitant at first.

Her lips were soft like satin and I could devour the taste of mint on them forever as her lips raced against mine. The stillness and quiet of the room urged my attention to flicker on the sounds that were a result of our sweet little act and I couldn't help but hear an 'I love you' in them. Maybe this was Lyra's way of confessing her love for me — saying what her words couldn't say through actions like these — or maybe this was just something that pulled us both in the heat of the moment. I really hoped it wasn't just the latter.

My lips did all they could to convince her to stay but hers were trying to suggest as if it would be the last. Our chests were heaving up and down from the ragged breathing and all of a sudden, her muscles tensed up when a betraying tear fell off from her eye. But she wiped it quickly before I could reach and pulled away, turning in such a way that I couldn't see her flushed face.

The silence that followed after was way too uncomfortable because how were we supposed to talk normally after what just happened? Or were we supposed to discuss exactly what we did? Do people usually talk about this? I wouldn't know; this was the first time I had kissed someone.

Not knowing what else to do, I changed the topic to something more comfortable. "How's your job hunt going by the way?"

"Pathetic." She scoffed. "People are so stupid, honestly. Everyone wants a fresher with a minimum two year work experience but nobody wants to hire an 18 year old because she's too immature for the job. I'm an adult for fuck's sake! When will people treat me like one?" She yelled and ran a hand through her hair, messing it up angrily. "And I lost my grant too. It's not getting renewed. I'm going to lose my mind-"

"Nicola cancelled your grant?" I narrowed my eyes. I thought their meeting had gone well.

"Yup. She called me a few days back." Lyra shook her head and let out a long sigh. Hiding her face with her hands, she angrily asked. "Why does nobody believe in me?"

"I do." I chipped in.

"Thanks, D." Her nods told me I was not the one she was counting on here. She meant people other than me, someone who could actually help her get a job.

How the hell did I always find myself in situations like these? Going from one awkward moment to another?

Turning on the TV outside, I played a movie I knew she liked and urged her to wait for me there. Once she was gone from the kitchen, I picked up the rest of the pineapple and began to cut it into thin slices after washing it again.

"Where-" When she turned to face me, I offered her a freshly chopped pineapple salad with her favourite dressing on top. A smile made its way to her face and she gladly accepted it, patting the space beside her on the sofa, offering me a seat next to her. "Wow, this is a lot."