17. reasons

EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

[PART 1]

"What the actual hell?" Vivaan held the unbelievable piece of paper in his hand and waved it furiously, breaking the lull of silence between them.

Once he realised the senior psychiatrist had decided to stay mute and pretend like no questions lingered in the haunting silence between them, Vivaan got tired of waiting and decided to refer to the textbooks in their resource library when they had settled back into the patient's room. Shutting his book, he walked towards the senior now, as if ready to grab something he was holding.

Doctor Martin glared at him, breaking all forms of physical contact with his cup of tea, placing it on the bedside table next to him. He yelled at the intern, absolutely losing his well-rehearsed indifferent composure. "I don't understand these reports myself, alright? I'm trying to figure something out and it would help if you could be a little more calm, you know? So just, like maybe, shut up for a minute there and stop panicking. That's literally the first rule of med-"

Vivaan's tone softened a bit, more apologetic and explanatory now. "I wasn't talking about the reports." He cleared his throat when the old man raised his brows and clarified. "This is your fifth cup of tea in less than half an hour. For some reason, that worries me more than these reports. Are- are you alright?"

His eyes, sure, didn't miss the trickles of swear that dripped down from Doctor Martin's forehead. Something was on his mind, definitely troubling him. He wondered if it was just this case or if something else was eating him up. But his personal life was not something he wanted to or dared to pry into.

"Oh, that." Doctor Martin's gaze returned to the cup and he held it once more, talking another sip from it to hide his guilt. Though he didn't formally apologise, his softened posture told it all. He appreciated Vivaan's concern though he found it slightly invasive. "That's nothing, don't worry." He shook Vivaan's worries away with his palm and forced a smile. "The heart wants what it wants, I guess?"

He wasn't sure if it was the case that made him so touchy or the fear still running in the back of his mind. Because he was supposed to put an end to this mystery, come up with a conclusion and end this for once.

But his mind was yet to catch up with the rushed series of events that happened to him. Right since yesterday. And though the intern would look at him and think he was sitting idle in contrast to himself — as he turned pages to find answers between pages of theory and books — he didn't know Doctor Martin's mind and heart were racing. Way too fast.

"Weak heart, huh?" Vivaan mused out loud. His regret soon turned into validation when he saw the shocked look on his senior's face. Doctor Martin didn't expect a new intern to understand this pun about his medical condition but he did and asked a little hesitantly. "Bypass surgery, is it?"

"Damn. You're smart." He let his mean demeanour vanish into a wave of truth when he acknowledged the intern's keen observation. Doctor Martin looked like he had been caught red-handed, stealing someone's prized possessions and he was definitely not a man who liked being an open book to anyone.