09. lifesaver

Trigger Warning for this particular Chapter: Body image issues, eating disorders, anorexia, bulimia. No obvious or descriptive scenes; just brief mentions and glimpses of the above.

User discretion advised.

I couldn't pay attention to what our science teacher was reading

I couldn't pay attention to what our science teacher was reading. He kept talking about chemicals and how some collisions created sparks but all I could register in my mind was the last name of my first love.

Lyra Sparks.

In the two days she was gone, she was still everywhere. In my dreams, in my thoughts, in my class — right here between the pages of my chemistry textbook.

"Mr. Foster? Diego?" The teacher spoke louder each time but I was lost in a labyrinth of my own imagination. I wondered if Lyra was alright. Hoping Nicola would have understood and forgiven Lyra for what happened, I chewed on my lip and closed the book in frustration. Why was there no way to contact Lyra when she was miles away?

"Diego Foster?"

"Uh." I looked up from my desk to face the angry man who straightened the wrinkles off of this white suit and adjusted his glasses to glare at me. Was I in trouble? "Present?" I shrugged, not knowing what else to say.

"No you aren't." He accused. "I need you to be here. Focused. But you're lost, somewhere else. Don't lie to me."

"I'm not lying." I lied again.

All of a sudden, the teacher's face morphed into Lyra's face. Her dead face, tears gathering up in her lifeless eyes. "Why would you lie to me, Diego? Why didn't you tell me when you had a chance?"

What the fuck was happening.

Rubbing my eyes, I looked outside the window and watched as the day blended into a dark, moonless night. Nothing made sense. Why were we still in class, at school, when it was already night?

"Tell me Diego, where are you?" The teacher's stern face returned and I pressed a palm over my mouth, thinking the way the world was spinning was going to make me puke.

Was I slowly losing my mind?

"Why did you do this to me, D? Why did you let me go? You could have saved me, idiot." Lyra was next to me now, running her index finger across my cheekbone as everyone else watched us with jaws dropped.

"Wha-"

"Wake up, Diego. Snap out of it." His voice creeped me out and I opened my eyes to find myself breaking into cold sweat on my bed.

The paint on the walls looked familiar and the bed was exactly where it was supposed to be, in the middle of the room. I could recognise the bedsheet from before and the posters on the side reminded me that I was at home, in the comfort of my own room. And whatever I had seen was nothing but a scary dream. Feeling my heartbeat thump on my jaw, I tried to take deep breaths to calm down. It made no sense as to why I saw Lyra in my class when she was supposed to be in another division altogether.