18. headspace

EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

[PART 2]

Vivaan lost his balance and almost tripped, falling on the chair as he gripped the table for support. A seemingly complicated case that turned into a bittersweet love story had taken a wild turn now, scaring the living daylights out of him.

He could feel a sudden urge to puke but numbed it down by washing this throat with some orange juice. "What the actual fuck?" He muttered under his breath at the sudden turn of events.

"Are you okay?" Doctor Martin asked, the concern evident in his voice. A nod was enough for him to continue. "Do you know about the various effects of marijuana?"

Vivaan spoke this time, trying to get a better hold of himself. He remembered learning this for his midterms recently. "Feelings of panic, anxiety, hallucinations, increased heart rate, trouble concentrating, decreased ability to perform tasks that require coordination, disinterest in completing tasks- Wait!" He could see what was coming next.

"To a layman, Diego slept on the beach for those hours, but to people like you and me he wasn't asleep, he was in a slumber of imagination. He was wide awake, but dreaming; hallucinating. I'll tell you what would have happened then." Doctor Martin pulled out the notebook from Diego's bag. "Subconsciously, he would have taken a book and started writing it, penning down the words he expected to read. Because his brain knew once all this would end, he would need tangible proof, a memento to hold onto his past without the harsh feelings."

"Could be. But how did he manage it?" Vivaan was still not convinced fully.

The doctor knit his eyebrows together and flipped the pages of the book. "You answered yourself in your previous statement... Trouble concentrating and decreased ability to perform tasks that require coordination. What do you think about his handwriting, child?"

After every page, the handwriting had turned out to be sloppier and it was almost unreadable by the time they reached the last page.

"No, wait." Doctor Martin asked the intern to splash some water into his eyes and he quietly obliged; he was sleep deprived anyway. "Vivaan, you're almost as good as crying right now, just like Diego was when he saw this part of the book. Go ahead and read what's written on the last page."

He squinted his eyes and tried to blink them, rub them to be able to make out the sloppy words on the page but he still couldn't read most of it. "Darn it, I can't." Vivaan sighed and gave up. "How the hell did Diego read it?"

"He could, only because he wrote it. While he thought about what she would write, given a chance to." He shut the book and took out a magnifying glass out of the drawer. "Still don't believe me?" He looked into the glass. "You will now. Do you remember who wrote the name on the cover page?"

"Diego did." Vivaan remembered the patient saying he wrote Lyra Sparks on the cover so that she'd take the book without hesitation.

"Good. Now, I'll teach you something we're taught in psychology and graphology. Everyone has a different way of writing, though the font or script are usually the same. This is called understanding the pressure points."