Us

VII

Sorry for the delay!!

MK POV

"So, Eleven, what's up?" She brushes her hand over my leg, that sits out in front of her. This action alone is going to make this harder. I don't want her to feel betrayed or hurt. I didn't want to lie, and I feel like I'm lying to myself now. This bubble that we are sitting in is going to pop. Either I tell her about Naomi and what I did, or she tells me about the talk between her and Lizzie, and I'm left being disappointed.

"Mary-Kate?"

I stop her hand and rest mine on top of it.

"I think we should talk.."

Y/N nods her head. Okay, good. Maybe she thinks we should as well. "About what?" Maybe not. I sigh and begin to run my fingers over the back of her hand. "You know I care about you, right?" Y/N laughs, which confused me. Why is she laughing?

When Y/N finally manages to stop laughing, she looks at me before furrowing her brows, and a curl of a smile forms. "Mary-Kate. You don't think I know that? For the short time we've known each other, I see you care every day. Every time we text, talk or have moments like tonight. I see it." I watch Y/N's mouth move as the words hit me soon after. I copy the smile she has before feeling mine slightly fade.

We still have to talk.

Y/N scoots herself closer to me. "I care about you too." I smile before shifting my eyes away from her. She cares about me...

While thinking of my following words, I bite my bottom lip pulling it into my mouth. I feel a shift in the couch, and I look up to see Y/N moving one hand to pull my lip with her thumb. "You'll hurt yourself." Silence now builds between us. The more time goes on without me speaking, the look in Y/N's eyes grows with worry.

"Is everything okay? Did something happen tonight?"

Yes.

"How did your call with Lizzie go?"

I chickened out. Y/N scrunches her face together. "Mary-Kate-" "Please." I stop her. I can see it. She wants to talk about me and what's wrong. I can't.

And.. Maybe.. maybe having her tell me that she and Lizzie are going to give it a go will make the blow hurt less when the truth comes out about Naomi. Maybe.

"Hey." I turn my head to a soft voice. "We don't have to-" I swallow the lump in my throat and gaze into her eyes. "I want to know." Y/N takes a second before nodding. I don't think she believes me, but she's willing to humor me. I watch as she looks away before turning to face me, and just before she opens her mouth, she slips our hands together.

Y/N POV

I fold my fingers around Mary-Kates and let the soft touch of her hand bring me comfort.

This last week sure has thrown my life for a loop. But I don't think I'd change a thing to be where I'm at right now.

And in case it wasn't obvious a couple of minutes ago. I think I the right choice was made.

_

I can hear Elizabeth's breath come back into her lungs over the phone. I let a slight smile draw itself onto my face knowing she has one as well.

"Lizzie-"

"No."

No?

"Y/N, don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Don't call me what everyone else calls me. You call me Liz. I like it that way." I let a chuckle slip through my lips as her worried voice hits my ears. "Okay, Liz."