Chapter 21

Your POV

     Rascal and I face each other upon the battlefield we've created within the Shadow Realm, April standing nearby. I stand floating, anxiously anticipating Rascal's next move.
Three playing cards appear in Rascal's hand, "The basis of poker is heavily set on luck. The first cards you draw make a huge impact on how the game will play out for you."
     I take a moment to nervously glance into the distance, seeing smoke rising from where Emily and Chloe must be fighting.
     Gosh, I hope Kelsey and Lily will be alright.... I think.
     I turn back to look Rascal in the eyes, glaring. Rascal proceeds to enlarge two of the cards in his hand, showing their faces to April and I. They act as screens almost, showing us what's going on in the arenas that Emily and Chloe are currently fighting in. The two of them are dirtied with mud, and have several scratches on them from their fights. Brute and Brooha have been buffed by a supplied source of negative energy, probably provided by Rascal.
     I grit my teeth, it's clear he's adding in a fair bit of psychological warfare into this battle. I turn back to look at him.
     "Given the circumstances, the rules will no doubt be altered to better fit our situation. At first glance it would seem you have the upper hand. What, with your six playing cards laid out thus far." Rascal turns over the remaining card in fingers.
Six playing cards.... Emily, Chloe, April, Ulric and myself.... He hasn't counted Kelsey or Lily though! I put the pieces together in my head, nodding satisfied at the fact he's disregarding the two I sent away, seemingly to avoid the fight.
I look back at him, "And? What's your point?"
Rascal sneers, "One of those six cards has already been taken out of the game. So it seems my lethality will be enough to overcome your strength in numbers."
Rascal gestured to Ulric as he said this, referring to how Ulric had been hurt earlier in the fight.
This comment causes April to scoff, "The game's just begun and already this guy is underestimating us!"
I put out an arm to silence her, not wanting her to defend us too much.
Rascal only laughs at us, summoning his cards back to him, "Oh, you'll get your chance to prove me wrong. Although I have very little concern of your doing so."
April grits her teeth, glaring at him while I get into a fighting stance. Rascal proceeds to enlarge his cards, their edges being razor sharp. At the same time, April and I leap forward while Rascal sends his cards after us. We dodge the cards as they hurl towards us like circular saws. Rascal commands them to repeatedly strike at us, and every time he does so it's all we can do to dodge.
"Soul! We can't hit these things on their edges! They'll slice through anything we send at them for sure!" April yells as she dodges.
"Split up!" I shout, looking at her with a knowing look.
She nods, and I can tell we're both thinking the same thing. If we want to take these things down, we'll have to hit them on their flat sides. The two of us split up, letting two of the cards chase us. With some fancy maneuvering, the two of us are able to adjust to the right angling and land a solid hit on the other's card, sending them flying into the surrounding rocks.
I quickly go over to April, quietly speaking in her ear, "Think you could use your speed to out run them and attack?"
She grins at me, and nods. Rascal, in response, raises an eyebrow at our exchange. It's clear, however, that he wasn't able to hear it.
That's good. We want to keep our motives as hidden as possible, I think.
April leaps up and propels herself into the air. Using one of Rascal's cards as leverage, she manages to land a solid kick to Rascal's jaw.
"Yes! Finally!" April shouts in triumph.
I smile, feeling a wave of confidence surge through me, "Alright! Keep it up!"
Together, April and I manage to get several more hits on Rascal.
I land on the rocky surface of the Shadow Realm, sliding a bit from impact, but steady nonetheless. I watch as April steadies herself from landing another solid kick on Rascal. I jump up, about to hit him again before I feel myself get pulled back by something wrapped around my ankle.
"Ah!" I end up scraping my elbows on the ground.
I look back and see a chain of cards around my ankles, keeping me tied to the ground.
I grit my teeth turning to look at my comrade, "April!"
But my warning is rendered useless as I watch human-sized cards appear around her, and hold her imprisoned.
I glare at Rascal, who's seemingly been recuperating discreetly.
He hovers down in front of me, laughing, "Oh y/n, did you really think it would be that simple? How delightfully pitiful! I had thought you'd be able to put up a more amusing fight."
I watch as he pulls out a regular playing card from thin air. My eyes widen as I see what it is.
Rascal's eyes squint as he processes my reaction, "Oh? Perhaps you do have some wit about you. More than that silly Glitter Spring, anyway, who was quick to judge this card."
Crap... the joker can be used as a wild card in poker.... We're screwed....
I watch as Rascal summons mirrors to show me the state of the other girls fighting. They all have their own scrapes and bruises.
I growl, looking back at Rascal, "Alright, I get it! I'm drenched in loser juice, aren't I?"
His eyes widen in response, "Oh, not yet you aren't. You haven't let me play my best card yet, Glitter Soul."
My own eyes widen as I watch him open his book and smear ink over it.
"Now's time for the big finish! You just wait.... You'll get to see the universe fall under the command of our master, Emperor Nogo!"
The dark sky becomes tinted with purple as a result of his summoning extra negative energy. I watch in despair as he pulls out a sharpened fencing saber, summoning more blades like it, poised to fire at me.
I can feel my fists begin to tremble gently as I look up at Rascal once again, "You're really going all out on us, huh?"
Rascal cackles, "Why of course! You have no idea how long I've waited for this moment! And to think, the so called 'strongest member' of the Glitter Force has the best seat to witness it all!"
I yelp as I get thrown back against another playing card and bound my my wrists and ankles to it, "You won't get away with this...! We... will find a way to win!"
Rascal's eyes grow wide in sadistic malice before throwing his head back in cruel laughter, "Can't your desperate eyes see? Everything is set! The cards are in my favor! You don't have anything against me! I win this game! You're finished!"
Rascal raises his arm, calling forth a group of sabers. I watch as he lowers it, sending down the pointed objects towards me.