28 Tyson Meets Ray

The moment Jack landed in the back of the police car, I was on the phone. Without thinking, I immediately went to my contacts and pulled Duncan, my supervisor at library camp. He did say I could call him if I needed anything. I am actually taking him up on the offer.

Thankfully, when I asked him if he could pick me up and drop me off at the police department, he didn't ask any questions. He either thought I was going to see my PO or he didn't think it was his place to ask. Either way, he said he would be over in ten minutes to get me.

In the meantime, I went for Jack's phone. Searching his phonebook, I found one entry with the name Ray. I pressed the call button and prayed someone would answer.

Just when I thought a voicemail message was about to start, the call was picked up.

"Hey, little bro. To what do I owe the pleasure," a deep and raspy southern voice greeted.

"Sorry, this isn't Jack. You don't know me, but my name is Tyson Crawford."

There was a brief void in the conversation. I was not exactly sure how to ask him for help, and he was probably confused as hell.

"Tyson Crawford," he repeated. "The Tyson Crawford? You are Jen and Tommy's boy, right? I haven't seen you since you were a toddler. There is no way you remember, but I was at your christening."

He was right, I didn't remember him. But I found it interesting that he had remembered me after all of these years.

"Jack told me you were coming to stay with him for a while. He said it was under strange circumstances, but he was excited to see you again."

Even as crazy as the situation was at that moment, Ray's comment still warmed my heart.

"It has been great reconnecting with Jack," I told him. "Unfortunately, I am calling because something bad has happened."

"Oh shit, is my brother okay?" Ray asked with clear worry in his voice.

"No," I answered. "Jack has been arrested."

"Arrested?!" Ray repeated.

I closed my eyes and put my hand over my face. "For murder."

Silence filled the line again.

"Shit," Ray murmured.

"He asked me to call you to–"

"Get help," he finished my statement.

"Ray, I am sorry that this is so fucked up. Until ten minutes ago I didn't even know Jack had a brother, and here I am asking a complete stranger for help because it was his last words before being carted away by the cops."

The last part of my rambling struck a chord. I felt the liquid fire of tears build up in the corners of my eyes.

"Don't be sorry, Tyson. You did the right thing. Jack had you call me because I used to be a lawyer. I represented him back when he was arrested before. But I haven't practiced since. I own a gym in Raleigh now. Personal train people. Make meal plans and nutrition guidelines for fitness buffs."

I could tell I was losing him.

"Well, he must still have faith in you," I suggested.

He let out a quiet laugh.

"Okay. I can get someone to cover the gym tonight and tomorrow. I will head your way in the next few hours. Even if I can't get the job done, I can at least counsel you guys on what the next steps are."

A little glimmer of hope seemed to brighten my outlook.

"Excellent! Thank you so much, Ray! I look forward to you coming. I will text you my number so you can let me know when you are near."