39 Tyson Ends on a Good Note

Looking at Jack from across the picnic table, I think how quickly he has bounced back from J'Nae shooting him. Yes, he still has physical therapy he goes to weekly, but he is in relatively high spirits. He jokes that it is because of his gorgeous therapist, Devin. I know he does it just to get under my skin. It works. But I also think, invite Devin over.

Our eyes meet and he winks at me.

"Alright, everyone. Dig in," Jack announces to our guests. If you can call them that.

On my side is Ray and beside him is House–who wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the kevlar vest he was wearing under his shirt the night of the Silkton Showdown. Jack's side of the table hosts J'Nae, Charlie, and Nicky. Everyone is chatting and bustling, burgers are being eaten, beers sipped. The early autumn night reminds us that we may not have too many cookouts left before turning in for the season.

I can overhear Ray asking Nicky about school. House and J'Nae debate if and when they will get Jesse involved in their secret investigation of the mole in the precinct. In trying to help Jesse start over, I talked Blake into getting him a job at Bearbelly's. He also promised me he'd keep his nose clean. I believe him. It helps that Scott threatened him with jail time for being connected to Silkton, but he said he would work as an informant to stay out of the big house.

"Can I have everyone's attention for a second," Jack calls the table to order. "It is official. Tyson has finished his first midterm at Mountain State. He's a student again and he is sticking around a while."

The table erupts with cheers and claps. My heart is warmed as I feel House's hand squeeze my shoulder and Ray's paw pat me on my thigh.

A moment later, Ray stands. "Not to steal any thunder, but I just got word the other day that the bank okayed my plan for a business loan. I am opening another gym, here, in Asheville."

The group explodes in fanfare again.

"Hope you two don't mind a roommate for a while," Ray quips.

Jack crosses to his brother and gives him a hug.

"Are you kidding? You are always welcome here," Jack tells him. Then he whispers something in his ear. Based on Ray's laughter, I have a feeling that Jack said what I was thinking: we know Ray will be spending a lot of his time at House's place anyway.

Back when we were sitting in the hospital together, waiting on Jack after he was shot, Ray gave me the story of him and House. He did not hold back on the details.

I stopped by House's place after you gave me an amazing tug. I wanted someone to keep an eye on you guys and I had come to trust House. It was late, and when he answered the door, he was wearing only a pair of boxer briefs. I asked him if we could talk for a moment, and he invited me in.

I told him I was headed out of town that night and felt nervous leaving my post beside you and Jack. As he made me a coffee for my drive, he told me he'd be here for you if something happened. Funny thing was, neither of us actually thought we had anything to worry about. So much so that he almost knocked my coffee outta my hands as we passionately took each other in our arms. Between kisses, he took my clothes off but stopped when I was naked before him. He then shoved his face into my tits and took a deep breath. His eyes found mine and there was complete lust in them. He knew the smell.

"Tyson worked a load out of me before coming here," I informed him.

This flipped a switch: wild animal mode. House turned me around and bent me over his kitchen table. He didn't need to bury his face in my hairy crag long because I was still warmed up from our romp on the hood of the Jeep. He stood and put one hand on my hip. I heard him spit and my stomach flipped with anticipation. Then, without haste or hesitation, he rammed his unclipped horn all the way into my ready chute.