38 Jack's Friend Turns Foe

Nash is back and grumbling to one of his guys. The imbecile comes over to me and brings me to my feet.

"There is someone here to see you," Nash says with annoyance.

Gun pressed into my back, he leads us to the main section of the warehouse, a large room that used to hold some kind of manufacturing machinery. With all of the windows boarded up, the catwalk that frames the space is put into eerie shadows.

Across the length of the two-story room, I see Officer House holding Silkston's number one employee, Crazy-Ass Tattoo Arm. House's captive looks pretty roughed up which makes me smile.

"Officer Haussier here came in demanding to see that you were alive," Nash explains.

My eyes connect with House's and I give him a thank you nod.

"He threatened to cause my best guy, Fox, harm if I didn't show you to him. Fox, how ya doing?"

My eyes catch movement on the second floor. In a split second, I swear I see Ty and Ray creeping around up there. I am filled with both fear for their safety and relief that they rallied the troops.

"Let me tell you a little about Fox," Nash continues. "You see, I found him years ago on the street. I brought him in. Gave him a job and gave him a home. He is like a brother to me."

With this, Nash casually lifts his gun and fires a shot right into Fox's chest. I hear J'Nae let out a stifled gasp behind me, but I don't take my eyes off the madman. As blood splatters all over House, the kingpin aims his Glock toward my officer friend for his second target.

"Oh. I am sorry if I made it sound as though I cared for that tweaker. I don't care for any other goddamn person but myself."

I am already throwing myself through the air as Nash pulls the trigger again. We collide and crash to the ground. Defeated, I see House go down also.

"Fuck," I spit.

Before I know what is going on, I am hoisted from the floor. Silkston's bodyguard peels me off his boss and gives me an uppercut to the stomach. Though the wind is knocked out of me, I surprise him when I catch the second punch. I can tell he had no idea that my bindings were previously taken care of.

But to my surprise, I don't need to throw a single punch. Before I can counterattack the henchmen, a massive blur descends from the second story, clobbering my enemy and sending him to the ground in a heap.

I don't have time to thank Ray for the pro wrestling-like help because I feel the hard barrel of a gun against the back of my head.

"Silkston..." I start, turning to face the kingpin with raised hands. However, my words and the air from the room immediately evaporate.

"I am sorry, Jack," J'Nae says from the other side of the gun. "He is my brother, and I have to keep him safe."

I am unable to make thoughts let alone words.

"Someone get his ass up on the catwalk and get that kid," J'Nae shouts to whichever of Silkston's goons are still around.

"J'Nae," I plead, "you don't have to do this."

How did this happen? Have I been blind to the fact that she has been working with him?

I hear Silkson laugh from behind her. He is just now getting himself upright from my tackle.

"You don't get it. Blood is thicker than water. She is my sister. She is always going to choose me, her brother, over some deadbeat ex-cop," Silkton explains.

Ty shows up beside her. Silkton's hired help holds him in a bear hug from behind. With his arms pinned to his sides, I see Tyson wiggle his hand into his pocket before my attention is brought back to J'Nae.